Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

sllewgh t1_ixzlv82 wrote

Individuals cannot realistically take action. Only unified groups can do anything. Also, the fight isn't going to be over when the ballot initiative is passed. If that's all you're organized to do, and everyone goes home afterwards, you've done nothing. My organization led the way for the Affordable Housing Trust Fund to be passed via ballot initiative. A year went by and the city hadn't put any money in the fund despite it passsing, so we had to gear up to fight again. Then we had to fight to make sure the money was used correctly.

In summary, individuals can't do shit. If you want the city to do something the city does not want to do, you need a committed group organized for the long term for a cause, not an individual policy.

2468975 OP t1_ixzussl wrote

I plan on researching organizations with successful ballot changes. Maybe I can volunteer and be part of a group to make change. Thank you again for sharing your knowledge and experience.

sllewgh t1_ixzxz6v wrote

Any time! Making these changes is absolutely possible, it happens all the time... but it takes a lot of work. It's very good to get off the sidelines- win or lose, if you participate you'll learn a lot about how power and our government really function.