Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

YoYoMoMa t1_iwpw68j wrote

To NYC? Even when I am booking months out for mid week midday departures I have never gotten anything below $50.

Like I just picked a random Friday in December and one way prices $104 for a 5am departure. $164 for anytime after that in the am. Only price lower than $100 gets you there after midnight.

A_P_Dahset t1_iwqe8ij wrote

It's possible to get cheap fares but you have to play around in the reservations and keep looking constantly to snag last minute low prices, sometimes even within a day or two of travel---so only works if your plans are relatively flexible. In September I got Bmore to Bridgeport, CT for $37, NYC back to Bmore for $37. Last weekend Bmore to NYC on Acela for $83 and Bridgeport, CT back to Bmore for $56. I might have booked the ticket to Bridgeport in September a week or two out, but everything else was booked within 1 or 2 days.

abcpdo t1_iwpwlp3 wrote

I typically look for weekends so that might be why.

YoYoMoMa t1_iwpxezq wrote

Even leaving on the following Saturday, you wont find any tickets under $100 unless the are arriving late ($74 to get there at midnight).

abcpdo t1_iwpyt2o wrote

The closer to departure date the higher the cost.

YoYoMoMa t1_iwpz6g2 wrote

Right. This was a month out. So not super far in advance, but not last minute.

The point is, saying Amtrak costs $20-50 is pretty disingenuous to what most people end up paying. Dropping down to $30 from $100 is significant for a lot of people. especially if it doesn't add too much time.

abcpdo t1_iwq027z wrote

I never said it was better or worse than Amtrak. You brought that up. I was replying the other person to say it isn’t the perk they think it might be. For $30 and 3 transfers with wait time in between you’re better off driving up than taking 4 commuter trains.

YoYoMoMa t1_iwq1ade wrote

I don't know how the transfer time will be, but driving up does create a lot of issues as well. Tolls and parking and gas and traffic variance. Plus stress. And many people can work on a train. Or play video games. Oh, and some people care about the environmental impact of their travel.

I am not saying this is clearly better. But another cheap and green option is good imo.

abcpdo t1_iwq0pd5 wrote

By the way it’s $18 from Newark DE to Trenton on Septa, and it takes 2 hours on that alone if you luck out and have 0 min transfer wait.

YoYoMoMa t1_iwq0wt5 wrote

Yrah I was just going by whoever said it was going to be $30 and 4 hours.