Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

aliyoh t1_iw81r13 wrote

Hmm I wonder… police… young black men… is there any reason why someone may be worried that interaction could go south…?

Like, I’m also a white woman and I agree with the previous commenter. I’m going to always hesitate to call the police, especially on young black men, when we know that someone could end up being killed. Yeah, street harassment is terrible and makes women feel unsafe. But even if the risk is small, I don’t want to be the reason someone ends up dead for a situation I can get out of on my own. And I’m mostly talking about petty things, like street harassment, vandalism, noise complaints, things that aren’t life or death. There are absolutely situations where I would call the police, but I think it’s A Good Thing Actually for white people to think for a couple seconds about the ramifications it can have on others before doing so.

−3

JohnBarleyCorn2 t1_iw826p6 wrote

No. Just stop. You don't have to put up with sexual harassment from anybody. Its not ok. If someone is harassing you, then they need to be stopped.

> A Good Thing Actually for white people

to be able to walk down the street without being made to feel violated and unsafe.

You are wrong and I hope you gain the confidence to love yourself enough to not let ANYone do this to you, regardless of what color they are.

As the father of young daughters, it makes me so..so sad to see that young women would rather suffer harassment than report a crime. I hope I'm able to instill enough self-confidence and self-respect in my daughters that they would never take this fatalistic, nihilistic view of themselves.

onlythehappiests t1_iw8ahqi wrote

This is not a self-esteem issue. It’s not that women would rather suffer harassment than report a crime because we feel like we don’t deserve to not be hassled. It’s that in this world/city that we live in today, there’s a very real possibility that calling the cops on black men or boys may result in someone dying and won’t solve the problem anyway.

I agree that it’s sad and awful and not at all okay, but unfortunately these are the things that people weigh. I think there is plenty of evidence that law enforcement isn’t firing on all cylinders here. And I think you know that and I don’t really get why women are being downvoted for acknowledging this problem.

Appropriate-Lab-5015 t1_iw85lk0 wrote

Young daughters, you say? You'll love Bel Air or Ellicott City. Don't let your kids grow up around violence

−4