Submitted by Hungryhungryhippos2 t3_zyuw3p in baltimore

Contractor didn’t properly level my subfloor and is refusing to fix it. New flooring needs pulling and replacing. I’ve had 6 other contractors come out and explain the whole job wasn’t done correctly. Will cost me 6k to fix when I paid the original guy 13k already!! I filed a complaint with MHIC in October but haven’t heard back. I’ve called/emailed. Unsure what the timeline is usually like or what to expect,

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

dopkick t1_j28s226 wrote

At $6,000 this is unfortunately just above the limit of small claims court. It might be worth going that route and trying to settle to do mediation. Worst case scenario, you’re out $1,000 after you reclaim the $5,000 limit. Which sucks, no doubt, but it’s better than being out $6,000. You might also want to look around for lawyers who provide you with some free consults.

kermelie t1_j28wqpm wrote

I have filed. Sounds like a solid case, I don’t know his defense how ever. Just collect the evidence. If you have documentation from other licensed contractors that the workmanship was poor should be an easy case. However expect some time to get a court hearing and actually get your money back.

Hungryhungryhippos2 OP t1_j297dir wrote

After you filed what happen next? I understand an investigator may or may not come out to the house

kermelie t1_j2agb2n wrote

I never had an investigator physically come to the property. You just submit proof with your claim. Pictures and invoices. They will schedule a court case and the award amount will be paid out of the guarantee fund.

umbligado t1_j28tv5i wrote

Sounds to me there is resounding professional opinion that the job was not done correctly. I would say get affidavits from those folks and then pursue this matter legally, or at least get this into mediation with the original contractor.

Chatterbug9128 t1_j2aq4ze wrote

Reach out directly to the MHIC Executive Director. His email address is on the website.
He's good about responding.

branchymolecule t1_j29woz3 wrote

If you filed that long ago, ask one of your elected state officials to help you out.

yyyyy25ui t1_j28lksy wrote

This is not an issue that they will do anything about.

−2

kermelie t1_j28wucv wrote

I don’t see anything in his scenario that would exempt him from a valid MHIC complaint.

SonofDiomedes t1_j2a4s1j wrote

MHIC exists for people who were ripped off, not for people who are dissatisfied the quality of work.

If the contractor took the down payment and did no work, MHIC. If the contractor broke a law, like taking greater than 1/3 down, MHIC.

Pretty limited circumstances in which MHIC will compensate a homeowner or sanction a licensed contractor.

−2

kermelie t1_j2afzoe wrote

MHIC does cover quality of work, I know because I received a claim based off the scope of MHIC poor workmanship clause.

SonofDiomedes t1_j2agj3y wrote

You must have had a very well documented and clear case, with real money at stake? Permits not pulled, Insurance invalid/not maintained, etc?

−1

kermelie t1_j2aon9u wrote

I just had a picture of poor work and an invoice for someone to go back and fix poor work. It’s a judge, so it’s not a hard standard. You just convince one person. If he didn’t have insurance he wouldn’t have a license. Permits were pulled as well but the judge didn’t really ask for that because it probably wasn’t relevant to the fact he didn’t do a good job.

SonofDiomedes t1_j2aozaq wrote

Well then maybe I need to educate myself better on this.