Submitted by postinbail t3_zw392s in baltimore

(24f) fairly new to Baltimore and I have no friends. Any good places anyone would recommend to meet people that is in a relatively safe area?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

leacpeoc t1_j1so076 wrote

not helpful now but i’m also 24f planning on moving to baltimore in 2023 i’ve been browsing some fb groups to try & meet people in the area so i’m not too lonely during the transition a lot of the groups are dmv area

ltong1009 t1_j1ssdp9 wrote

Join a social sports league. They place single players on teams that need people.

Lostinfrance17 t1_j1svm2b wrote

Volunteer! BARCS is great if you like animals…we are a welcoming group and you can walk dogs (get exercise) and cuddle pups/cats if you need a break from people.

ciadrianna t1_j1sx5xt wrote

25f here! feel free to message me if ya want to i can always use some new friends 💜

JessLevelsUp t1_j1t6kv7 wrote

I also think No Land Beyond is a friendly board game bar folks have mentioned on here before!

Cuss10 t1_j1t8phz wrote

It does. But the DMV is the DC suburbs. Baltimore is outside that. It's a short drive between the two and a common commute, but most wouldn't travel it on a snow day.

PoopsExcellence t1_j1t8yl4 wrote

DMV usually refers to the parts of Maryland and Virginia that immediately surround DC. So it includes places like Silver Spring and Bethesda, not so much Baltimore. It's a fun area, and if you make friends down there it's a good place to spend a weekend. But it's a long drive to constantly be visiting.

PoopsExcellence t1_j1t9k59 wrote

When I was in my 20s I met some long-term friends through the Baltimore kickball leagues. There are plenty of other sports and non-sports to join. If you have some interests, then find a meetup group for it (swing dancing, hiking, etc). Meet your neighbors and invite them for meals, nightlife, etc.

TheMattHurleyShow t1_j1tb1ca wrote

The port comedy club in fells point has 1 hour comedy shows 7 nights a week! People come alone all the time! Portcomedy.com

IamAcapacitor t1_j1td1my wrote

new to the area too if you find anything thats good in the locust point/fed hill area or something can you let me know. I am looking too

Lonnol78 t1_j1tgcgl wrote

I’m old now so I can only share about what I learned about when I moved to the city and what I have heard.

1. Sports clubs: there are a lot of transplants in Baltimore and this seems to be the best place to start (all types and all skill levels)

2. Classes: If you’re into art there are a lot of options, especially with the good collection of schools and MICA

3. Volunteer: A previous poster mentioned BARCS, which is an amazing org. As a city with a lot of challenges there are a lot of opportunities to volunteer across Baltimore.

4. Meetup: Several people I know mentioned meetup pre pandemic, I’m too old to know if that’s still a thing.

5. Breweries: I love Baltimore’s row house bars, but they can have less turnover. Several breweries like Peabody, checkerspot, union, full tilt, ministry of brewing, guilford hall and others have bigger spaces with lots of folks.

6. Running and cycling: Charm city run hosts group runs and Baltimore Bike Party is a great way to see the city with drinks afterwards

7. Neighborhood Events: Baltimore is like a European city with lots of small neighborhoods. Get on the fb groups (I know, fb) for your neighborhood and surrounding ones, you’ll see a lot of events.

In_This_To_Win_This t1_j1u01me wrote

As someone from the DMV proper, who moved to Baltimore 2 years ago, it is two VERY separate places. 😂 It’s a short drive (most places are within an hour or a little more) but don’t expect DMV friends to make the trip north. My friends and family act like I live in a different time zone. 🤦🏾‍♀️ I am usually the one that heads down instead of the other way around. DMV is typically within the Capital Beltway (not to be confused with the Beltway in Baltimore which most ppl just call 695) so it includes all of DC, some of MD and some of VA. Nowadays ppl try to squeeze anything in the DMV including southern MD and central VA. But it isn’t. Anyway, welcome to Bmore. It’s weird but great. We like it. 🤷🏾‍♀️

RandyButteSavage t1_j1u4ajm wrote

No land beyond is a board game themed bar and has a lovely atmosphere and great people. They regularly have events music dancing and shows an I have made a ton of friends there

inukaglover666 t1_j1u9ble wrote

Volunteering is always a good way to meet like minded good people. I met all my best friends in life volunteering or through work/school tbh. There’s a harm reduction place called SPARC in pigtown and they are about to restart the volunteer days/training in January so I definitely recommend you check it out!

inukaglover666 t1_j1uu1r0 wrote

No problem! I live in pigtown with my husband and we really like the neighborhood. They have a very active community association as well so definitely get involved with that too if you want to make friends in the neighborhood.

john19801 t1_j1uudcr wrote

Cool bar in the inner harbor Peter's Pour House good crowd all ages

spicymeatballx t1_j1uyttn wrote

25f and moved to Fed last spring. Feel free to message for a friend or with any questions about the area!