Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Mildred_RatchedRN t1_iz8468y wrote

Those people have zero interest in doing the things that are required by legitimate employers.

Velghast t1_iz99h9h wrote

There's a lot of jobs available by legit employers in Baltimore but honestly after talking with one of the squeegee kids it sounds like they make a lot more money than possible at a 9:00 to 5:00 and with very flexible hours and they can just quit whenever they want to and come back whenever they want.

I was talking to one kid and he said he was pulling at least 150 bucks a day.

snaxfordinner t1_izahtro wrote

Good retirement and pension plan also

Velghast t1_izbkp3j wrote

My company like many cut pensions about 5 years back. Honestly if I could find a decent company to work for that offered a generous retirement package I would take it

CaptainObvious110 t1_izbuj2z wrote

You also have to factor in that they aren't paying any taxes either. Imagine how much more you would be bringing home if you didn't have taxes taken out of your check each pay period.

Then imagine having that money and not having to pay rent, not having to pay for food and not having to pay for medical care either or and no car insurance.

So it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand WHY they do it.

The problem is that the fact that it's ALLOWED in the first place.

Someone has to be benefiting by pandering to these folks and until that person is properly addressed the status quo will absolutely continue.

CaptainObvious110 t1_iz85yi2 wrote

Oh I agree with you completely but at the very least it couldn't be said that there are no jobs for them available.

Now to be more positive, let's say there are some young men that legitimately want to work to provide for their families? Then, at the very least they would be given the opportunity to do so which I am all for.