Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PrussianTrollFarm t1_j0gu3cw wrote

>It would pay for itself in a month

Bold of you to assume people who recreationally run red lights actually pay tickets

catbirdbutt t1_j0gv0rm wrote

Also assuming that they have valid, active registration with their name and address on it.

ParetoEfficiency t1_j0jojz1 wrote

So many expired out of state tags in my neighborhood. These fuckers need to get some jury duty. I'm tired of going every year.

thejesusfish t1_j0jxmgj wrote

Do you really want these idiots doling out justice in the jury box?

moderndukes t1_j0naosh wrote

I feel like they’re also not the type to show up for jury duty

S-Kunst t1_j0igsrl wrote

Yes, I bet you are correct that some are not even legally on the road. But the law of averages says there are many who are both bold and dumb. Either way the photo camera will find that there is a stolen car on the road or the tags are stolen.

If you don't pay the fine and want to get tag, registration or your license renewed you have to pay off the fines and penalties.

canipetyourdog420 OP t1_j0gw1ub wrote

It may take years of late notices and fines but it'll catch up to them

DfcukinLite t1_j0gzwok wrote

Baltimore city boots after 3 unpaid tickets, and MD MVA won’t let you renew your license or registration, tags or anything. Trust and believe Baltimore city and the state of MD is going to get that money if they have to garnish your wages to do it.

todareistobmore t1_j0hhl6v wrote

Unless/until there's more of an effort to crack down on people using obviously bad/hidden tags, I think the main thing you'd expect to see from any big traffic camera effort is more bad/hidden tags.

DfcukinLite t1_j0hm29b wrote

That maybe so, but then that’s another illegal strike against you if caught that will further bite you in the ass in court/legal fees. Tthat’s more money said person is going to have to shell out to the city/state.

todareistobmore t1_j0hngkn wrote

Sure, but it looks like nobody's enforcing those illegal strikes--almost every day I see at least one parked car with bad paper tags or a heavily tinted plate cover, and those should be immediately bootable by DOT. This isn't even specifically a Baltimore thing, there's been plenty written about it in Philly/NYC too, especially over the last couple of years.

FWIW, I'm not against more cameras (I walk and bike more than I drive, and I drive with that in mind), I just don't think they'll hit the most flagrantly bad drivers we see in the city these days.

DfcukinLite t1_j0holut wrote

Perception isn’t always reality. I’d be curious to see the stats. Though, two things can be true. Multiple task.

DisentangledElm t1_j0hzf3n wrote

Don't boot them, tow them. Booting them just has them sit there and eventually become abandoned vehicles. Total waste of a parking space. There are at least two booted vehicles that have sat for several weeks on a street I frequent.

bmore t1_j0i4njo wrote

Baltimore City does not boot for 3 or more unpaid speed or red light camera citations because they lack state authority to do so for anything but parking tickets and these are technically moving violations.

And the state will indeed let you renew your registration without paying automated enforcement tickets.

We also lack reciprocity with neighboring jurisdictions, so people are illegally titling vehicles in Virginia and just doing whatever they want.

DfcukinLite t1_j0inmdt wrote

Oh they certainly do I know from experience.

bmore t1_j0iui53 wrote

They don't boot or tow for ATVES tickets. Your experience here is wrong if you are claiming that, and I'd like to see your boot or tow evidence.

License and plate renewals going through despite owed tickets is new as of the pandemic. If your experience predates that, fair. Otherwise again, it's state policy and you're wrong.

Edit: This fuckin sub, I'm being downvoted for factual statements replying to a deleted comment

−1

S-Kunst t1_j0kq6yd wrote

Yes, and every morning when I go to work, there is a traffic boot van clamping a boot on some car in Mt V. The ONLY thing the city gov is aggressive about monitoring and over sight has to do with parking violations.

redsoxted9 t1_j0i0rjw wrote

If it prevents a single accident, or reinforces an environment of accountability, it would be worth it imo

Killbot_Wants_Hug t1_j0ic89t wrote

Red light cameras have been shown to increase accidents.

redsoxted9 t1_j0iv5sd wrote

Wow, ya you’re right Red light traffic studies

Killbot_Wants_Hug t1_j0j0l1w wrote

Yeah. In fact cities/contractors have been caught making yellow lights shorter because it increases ticket revenue. But it also causes more crashes.

You're really just asking for something that allows some company to skim money from people (because the vast majority of the money goes to a contractor and not to the government).

It's worse for people in basically every other way.

Scrilla_Gorilla_ t1_j0icayf wrote

Before we give up and let the robots enforce the laws I think we should give human police officers one last chance.

redsoxted9 t1_j0ivsur wrote

No racial or socioeconomic bias from traffic cams, though. But ya let’s not let the robots get cocky

Angdrambor t1_j0icaxz wrote

Have you figured out how to renew your registration without paying them?