Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

FriedScrapple t1_j662u8f wrote

Is it really unexplainable, or are they just huge idiots? Any non-idiots would have gotten an accountant to deal with their financial issues properly the first day the IRS came knocking. They could’ve afforded a second condo legitimately, why did they feel the need to buy two, so urgently that they’d lie about Covid hardship and fake Nick’s dead dad’s signature on documents for like $5,000?

Nick was elected and he was young and full of energy, seemed promising. She was an unknown and got in with his name recognition. And then they both got way, way out of their depths, in terms of basic how-the-world-works experience and sense.

frolicndetour t1_j66fj23 wrote

I think there was arrogance, too. Like they are above petty laws and they can do what they want without consequences. It's common with corruption. Pugh and Dixon (and for example Trump on a national level) had the same attitude, like they did what they wanted and how dare you question my actions.

FriedScrapple t1_j66ixo4 wrote

Which is so silly, especially with a Republican governor looking for any excuse to point to Baltimore city as too corrupt to be deserving of any help. Remember the Ehrlich days when Rod Rosenstein busted Ed Norris’s panty fund? Good times.

DemonDeke t1_j69s03v wrote

Are you saying the old Republican gov was looking for a way to take down Ed Norris?

FriedScrapple t1_j69zp8s wrote

Who knows, but that fund Ed had been using had been dipped into by other police chiefs for miscellaneous purchases pre-Ed for a while. One option might’ve been “hey, why did you buy panties with that fund? Even if other guys did it it’s not for that, quit it and pay it back.” Another is to call the FBI. Another is to not even probe smaller expenses in the first place. I’m not saying Ed was wrong, and maybe he was given the option to pay it back and said no, I don’t know. Ed thinks it was political, but of course consider the source.

Difficult-Buddy1205 t1_j67kqgx wrote

Can you expand the Ed Norris panty fund thing. I only know him as a radio personality and callers will call in and ask him to save Baltimore and I don’t get it. He’s a former cop?

TerranceBaggz t1_j68dhip wrote

He was the former chief of police. He was sent to prison IIRC. Now he goes around claiming it was a witch hunt. He and his bs is why I don’t listen to 105.7 anymore.

FriedScrapple t1_j68h0yy wrote

Former chief of police who was spending a city police fund on underthings for his mistress at Victoria’s Secret. Was busted by the FBI prosecuted by a young Rod J Rosenstein (who went on to Trump WH fame, and to become a traitor to this country. But back then he prosecuted more corrupt cops than anyone before or since).

ElectricStar87 t1_j66dhm9 wrote

Honestly I think you’re spot on.

FriedScrapple t1_j66hksb wrote

My impression is she’s a mean-girl narcissist who always got by on her looks but thinks she earned it. I say narcissist because instead of friends she has fans and followers. She refuses to admit when she is wrong, ever (even when the IRS is like, “hey, this is wrong”) is convinced she’s the smartest person in the room always, obsessed with her image, no empathy for others. I’m sure many many people told her, hey, get an accountant. Hey, we’re lawyers, here’s some charges you could put on the Freddie Gray cops that would stick instead of goofy shit like kidnapping. If she was willing to take advice, she would have been able to wing it even with scant experience, but she would not.