Submitted by boxer_dogs_dance t3_113u61j in books

I found this book, which was published in 1970, because I was looking for epistolary novels. I read it with absolutely no expectations and my heart was warmed by this true story. The book is built from actual letters between a New York City writer and the staff of a used book store in England. Over decades, they become emotionally attached as a friendship develops and the reader gets to watch it happen. Writers and book lovers can relate to the main character. Literature nerds can geek out to the references to obscure authors and literary history, which are short and not at all tedious. There is also a later film with Anthony Hopkins and Judy Dench. I have read that this book was popular and well known, but I had not heard of it. There is not much action or drama, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

RachelOfRefuge t1_j8sbg5i wrote

I don't understand why this book is so popular. 🤷 Maybe I went in with too high of expectations, since everyone raves about it.

I found it pretty meh.

Shadow_Lass38 t1_j8sc17z wrote

It was a best-seller for a while. Very appealing to people who collect old books. There's also a sequel, The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street, where Helene finally gets to visit London, sees where Marks & Co. used to be, and meets Frank's family. Anne Bancroft plays Helene in the film, which I love.

boxer_dogs_dance OP t1_j8sc973 wrote

I tried to communicate clearly that it is a very quiet story where not much happens beyond the development of the relationship. I also loved a Man Called Ove.

Edit, tastes vary. Some people like bird watching or knitting, others may prefer roller coasters or bungie jumping. Some like all of the above.

Spodson t1_j8sozqy wrote

My mother is both an Anglophile and a bibliophile, so the book and movie is one of her all time favorites. I appreciate the relationship they grow together and how it's never romantic or sexualized. I totally understand how this isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but it is an amazing work.

skybluepink77 t1_j8ssol7 wrote

Been recommending this book for years; this is a quiet, subtle gem, and the charm of it, is its sincerity and warmth.

The movie is absolutely true to the book, though it's Anne Bancroft, not Judi Dench - Hopkins is wonderful in it.

ange7327 t1_j8sxrxv wrote

I loved both the book and the film, definitely one of my favourites despite the gentle story.

Caleb_Trask19 t1_j8t5882 wrote

After knowing about this book since the 1980s I finally read it last year and gave it five stars, just phenomenal. I read the followup, which was quite good too. Last year’s Love & Saffron is fiction, but with quite a similar feel to it.

Caleb_Trask19 t1_j8ty590 wrote

For those who have access to Hoopla through their public library, there’s a great eAudiobook version that’s a great rendition with multiple narrators.

Jillian59 t1_j8u9r21 wrote

Oh I love this book so much. I have read it several times. It is very short and pleasant. If you are stressed out it will mellow you out.

MarieReading t1_j8ums0v wrote

I feel like the book is a love letter to reading. The book is about all the little joys (and frustration) that come with being a reader. I think we all (fans of the book) secretly wish we had a personal relationship that strongly with a bookshop.

assignaname t1_j8unif3 wrote

I requested a book that was easy to consume/somewhat fast and purely lighthearted and positive in the suggest me a book sub and someone suggested this. It's the one I chose due to being readily available and on audiobook (so I can do chores and such while I listen) and it did NOT disappoint.

I absolutely adored it. It was funny without being overly comedic and forced. It was overall just pleasant and heartwarming. It made me laugh, it made me cry, I learned some things, I have possibly no complaints.

As someone who works completely remote it even really resonated that they were so far apart and had such a close relationship within the context of their interactions without having met in person.

smtae t1_j8unuwk wrote

This is my go-to recommendation for people in reading slumps.

4myolive t1_j8uxr4c wrote

I read this last week! I found it mentioned on a Facebook reading group. I really loved it. I prefer character driven books and this did not disappoint. Have requested the sequel and am looking forward to reading it.

julieannie t1_j8v35wo wrote

My library system has a Charing Cross branch and its the only one that has it in stock. And by in stock, I mean always in use. One of these days I’ll put a hold on it but I keep meaning to visit every library branch and I thought it would make the best of reasons to make that trip if I could just get the book on the shelf when I go.

dskullz91 t1_j8vg04u wrote

I love this book. I am not usually a book buyer but my library doesn't have this one so I bought two copies. One to keep and one to lend out to friends so they can also love it.

sharonaflemming t1_j9wg43j wrote

Just read this one a few days ago, was pleasantly surprised! Really quick read but such a gem of a book, lovely from start to end. I was sad to later find out that 84, Charing Cross Road is currently a McDonalds, but alas, thus is life i guess.