Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Bokbreath t1_j92rq32 wrote

Per Vonnegut
>researchers found there are “six core trajectories which form the building blocks of complex narratives”. These are: “rags to riches” (a story that follows a rise in happiness), “tragedy”, or “riches to rags” (one that follows a fall in happiness), “man in a hole” (fall–rise), “Icarus” (rise–fall), “Cinderella” (rise–fall–rise), and “Oedipus” (fall–rise–fall).

foulbeastly t1_j92wah3 wrote

I remember in elementary school learning about kinds of conflict as well- man vs nature, man vs god, man vs man, and man vs self.

Nice_Sun_7018 t1_j93de7d wrote

God creates dinosaurs, god destroys dinosaurs, god creates man, man destroys god, man creates dinosaurs, dinosaurs eat man, woman inherits the earth

brickmaster32000 t1_j93g4yd wrote

That is just a result of how you choose to catergorize things. I could also just as easily say that all stories fall into only two categories, stories about hippos and stories that arent about hippos.

HippoBot9000 t1_j93g626 wrote

HIPPOBOT 9000 v 3.0 FOUND A HIPPO. 5,876,376 COMMENTS SEARCHED. 171 HIPPOS FOUND. YOUR COMMENT CONTAINS THE WORD HIPPO.

Bokbreath t1_j93i3uz wrote

You can - and that would also be correct. Whether it is useful to anyone is another question