Submitted by DerpiestLilDhampir t3_11cztrm in books

Jane Leslie Conly's "While No One Was Watching." Three children are left in the care of an aunt while their dad and his girlfriend work extra hard to afford a new home. However, when the aunt disappears, the children are left to fend for themselves. The eldest, Earl, winds up joining an unscrupulous cousin in illegal work (like bike theft), but things gradually got more dangerous. The book eventually ends on a happy note, though only after the kids had to endure the hardship of neglect.

The book stuck with me, because it addresses a scenario I could relate to; following the divorce of my parents, when I was little, my father at some point allowed my incubator to take me out of state for the summer of 2000. What followed was a temporary visit with the grandparents on her side of the family in Texas, before being left with some family in Kansas that she only knew through a peer in the military. Some bad things happened that I don't fully recall, nor care to, but ultimately my dad and his father had to rush over from our home state to save me from being put into the foster system; incubator had rarely visited, after leaving me in the care of those strangers, and she eventually disappeared for the remainder of that year (the mother of the strange family couldn't even get in contact with my egg donor, anymore). Needless to say, anytime egg donor contacted again and tried to ask for me or my sisters to go visit her, my dad refused for our safeties.

It's a bit of an epiphany for me, lately, when revisiting this book made me realize how I was able to relate to it with my own experiences of neglect, during my childhood. My physical copy of this novel is showing its age, but regardless will remain in my personal library for how much I connected with it.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

TomSF t1_ja5xy24 wrote

My side of the mountain. Always have loved this book.

raevnos t1_ja6317u wrote

Is that obscure these days?

Tanagrabelle t1_ja7mv0k wrote

Attempt at humor: It lacks any >!abuse, sex, and etc.!< So... yes?

Tanagrabelle t1_ja7mrn9 wrote

I'm reading that book with a pre-teen right now. We're closing on the end! I've read the second, but haven't read the third yet.

PurpleDreamer28 t1_ja66mf4 wrote

The Dollhouse Murders by Betty Ren Wright. It's about a young girl who finds a beautiful dollhouse in her aunt's attic. But then she discovers the dolls have been moving somehow, and it seems like they're trying to tell her something.

Even now as an adult, I feel creeped out reading it. Though parts of it haven't aged that well. It came out in the 80s, and the girl's sister has a mental disability, but she's described as "brain damaged." Yeah, that would never fly now. Regardless, still a creepy, exciting book! I think my mom got it from a garage sale, and I still have it to this day.

Illustrious_Stick_41 t1_ja619ea wrote

I remember a lot of books impacting me as a kid but the ones that impacted me the most were the Ramona Quimby novels by Beverly Cleary. I was impressed, even as a kid, with how she was able to write from a child's perspective so accurately.

meteorite14 t1_ja63fdk wrote

Personally: Liesl and Po by Lauren Oliver. Something about feeling lonely as a kid felt relatable. One of my parents was sick a lot when I was growing up, the other parent didn't really know wtf to do with me. Books were escapism for me.

I wanted to be Liesl for a long time. Going on an adventure and making the world bright again.

Admittedly I'm a rather young adult, still in post-secondary. We'll see if this book sticks with me. I should do a reread at some point.

SimilarLawfulness746 t1_ja6ci9r wrote

Run by William Sleator. I was in the Newberry Book Club in grade school and we were allowed to choose whatever we wanted from the library and read for as long as we liked instead of PE and study periods. This book made me fall in love with reading. I’ve spent roughly 45 years trying to remember the title snd about six months ago it snapped into my memory. I ordered it and re-read it. It’s actually not very good.

Edit—I should clarify that even though I just found the book, I have not stopped thinking about it since I was a kid. So, it did stick with me into adulthood!

vivahermione t1_ja87ehv wrote

>we were allowed to choose whatever we wanted from the library and read for as long as we liked instead of PE and study periods.

That sounds awesome! I wish my school had this club. It's like, "Look, y'all, I'm never gonna pass the run a mile test, no matter how much I practice. You might as well let me concentrate on what I'm good at." Lol.

SimilarLawfulness746 t1_ja8xvnh wrote

It really was pretty great. I think they were particularly lenient with me because I somehow found myself in some kind of trouble every day at recess. Better to have me in the library than stirring up some shit on the playground.

Dull-Lengthiness5175 t1_ja8qyis wrote

I saw this after posting on another by Sleator. I never read Run, but I got on a W.S. kick in middle school, and I loved everything I read by him. I don't remember them all now, but I know they had a huge influence on my reading habits. I still love weird sci-fi novels.

SimilarLawfulness746 t1_ja8y9v6 wrote

I don't remember reading any of his other books, but this book really stuck with me. I remembered the title a few years ago, but could not remember the author, and there actually quite a few books called 'Run'. It was the cover that finally sealed it for me, and there at least two different covers. So, I may have run across it before and didn't know it was what I was looking for.

Anyway, it's a pretty basic book, but I'm happy to have finally solved this mystery.

everything_is_holy t1_ja66lhh wrote

This tripped a memory. When I was 8, I always took 2001 A Space Odyssey to school. I couldn't really read it, or understand it, that is. I loved the cover, I knew it held magic, and it was my comfort item that I had. My teacher saw me with it, knew it was a bit too much for me, and gave me The White Mountains, the first book in the Tripods trilogy. I guess it's considered a classic, so not obscure really, but that got me started into the magic of reading. To this day, I still have a special place in my heart for that series and that teacher. And I loved 2001 when I finally was mature enough to read it.

apollojl68 t1_ja5zqt2 wrote

I didn't read it until I was 26, but The Illustrated Mum stuck with me as a heavily tattooed person with bipolar disorder raised by a single mother.

MacAlkalineTriad t1_ja608ty wrote

Well, it's not a novel and maybe this isn't what you're looking for but: When I was in grade school I bought a little book called Sam the Cat Detective at a book fair. It's classic noir private eye style, except the detective is (obviously) a cat. It's really cute and surprisingly well written and I kept that copy all my adult life, revisiting it now and then.

After my house burned down last April I was overwhelmed with the idea of restarting my library, since I re-read my favorites fairly often. But I didn't know what to purchase first. Eventually I threw away the idea of getting any 'grown-up' books (I'm 40) right away, looked for Sam on thriftbooks and discovered to my delight that there were two sequels! So now I have all three.

NerdGirlontheRun t1_ja67fo2 wrote

Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha by Roddy Doyle. Watching the parents marriage start to fall apart and how Paddy slowly transitions from the carefree experience of childhood to anxiety, fear, anger, and sadness as it becomes clear to him what’s happening. And also sensing how alienating it was to be the kid with parents who were on the verge of divorce.

All of my classmates (I went to a very small school in a very small town) were shocked when my parents were the ones to get divorced. My parents had shielded us from a lot of their problems and so there was such a bizarre shift in my family from one spectrum to the other once it started to happen. This book has stuck with me for that reason.

matohota t1_ja6drnv wrote

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I couldn't tell you how many times I've read that book but it's more than a handful. I also loved the movie adaptation with Gene Wilder. It was very faithful, capturing the flavor of the book perfectly.

bettinafairchild t1_ja6p9gb wrote

House of Stairs. 5 teen orphans around 16 awake to find themselves in a hostile environment, a building made up of stairs in all directions. They become part of an experiment (unknowingly) in which they are rewarded with food if they do certain tasks and punished if they don’t obey. They are gradually trained to become cruel and duplicitous. The 5 are: a popular, athletic boy; a pretty, shy girl who is a follower; a spoiled narcissistic princess; a juvenile delinquent girl; a boy who has a learning disability. Eventually the delinquent and the one with the learning disability rebel and refuse to engage, preferring to starve themselves. When the other 3 attack them, the experiment is ended. They discover they are being trained to be spies. The hostile environment is to train them to adjust to any situation and disregard human comfort. The training to be cruel is providing them with the right mindset to be spies and assassins. The two who refused are rejected but the rest go on to further training.

South_Honey2705 t1_ja716vx wrote

Wow just wow congratulations for making it to adulthood such a strong person

QuothTheRaven713 t1_ja637b2 wrote

Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salaman Rushdie.

It was required reading in 6th grade and to this day it's still one of my favorites. I feel like it would be perfect for a kid's fantasy-adventure movie too.

Pugbots t1_ja67uhn wrote

Girl of the Limberlost

mikarala t1_ja6bics wrote

I don't even know the name of this book, but when I was 10 or so I read a book in some kind of dystopian future where all babies are basically genetically tailored to fit their parent's wishes. I think there was some other stuff, maybe the MC met a girl who was born the old fashioned way? But I don't really remember that, just how disturbing this novel made the idea of everyone being some idealized mold created by their parents.

badmanmadmansadman t1_ja74ws3 wrote

A child called it was a really really tough book that mirrored a lot of the abuse I had in my own household. I read it when I was in middle school and in a better home but shaped me in a way that helped me embrace and get over the past. Horrible things happened to him that i really sadly related to but i felt understood and seen cause i mean abuse is hard to talk about and it can have a long lasting effect on how you connect with people . Connecting with the main character helped me realized what happened was messed up for sure but. some people are just evil and it was never my fault.

SabbyRinna t1_ja7q1r8 wrote

The Dangerous Angels series by Francesca Lia Block. I grew up in San Diego and LA in the 90s and early 2000s with hippie surfer parents and their friends. The series felt so personal and magical and torturous as a kid and the memories of those feelings stayed with me for a long time.

Another was The Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix. The first one, Sabriel, caught my eye bc the name is similar to mine and the girl on the cover looked like me. This one was the escape from real life into fantasy. It inspired me to have more courage and confidence in myself as well.

Everything else I read was really not for kids, but I happened upon both those series in the cool looking YA section of the library.

hazeyjane11 t1_ja88aj8 wrote

Wow!! Both of these are two of my absolute favorite books. I was just obsessed with the Dangerous Angels series, I must have read it over 10 times as a weird and lonely 12 year old.

And sabriel is just fantastic, I love Garth Nix so much.

SabbyRinna t1_ja88pil wrote

Omg that's so cool! So you totally get it! Ahhh, thanks for replying, that made my day.

majesticat42 t1_ja8zuqn wrote

I don't know what it was called or if this book was even real, but I read it when i was 8-9 years old and I'm assuming I just got it randomly from the kid's section, someone probably put it there by mistake. I remember an edgy looking female goth with white-out eyes on the cover, half her face was a skeleton. The book was just a bunch of short stories, but they were disturbing as hell. TW cause it's probably not a children's book and I probably shouldn't have read this as a child.

>!Graphic depictions of someone disemboweling themselves and playing with their guts as they die, a girl who was too caught up in trying to look pretty that she cut her own lips off, one story where someone attempted to suffocate themselves by peeing into a toilet bowl full of bleach--I'm pretty sure I learned that peeing in bleach releases a toxic gas in this book--and one story about a glowing cat and fireflies.!<

This book literally haunts me lmao. I want to find it again just to prove to myself that I didn't hallucinate it. If anyone knows the book, I would very much like to know. It's probably this book's fault I like horror now as an adult.

Another one was Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix. There were laws against having more than two child per family and this family hid an extra kid under their house. Read the first book in middle school and couldn't stop reading the rest.

gnatsaredancing t1_ja6txa7 wrote

I barely even remember the rest of the book. But for the most part it seemed like the kind of book where nothing truly bad will happen.

And then there's a scene where one of the characters is tied up and a huge pig described as having tusks like carrots saunters up. It sniffs the tied up character and out of nowhere decides to take a massive bite out of his side and the book takes its sweet time describing how his screaming goes up in pitch until it just turns to gurgling and he dies.

This book just goes Stephen king for two pages and then goes back to 'normal'.

zsreport t1_ja7r845 wrote

Not sure if it is obscure or not, but back when I was in middle school I had read "Collusion Course" by Nigel Hinton and it's just an old read I think about from time to time.

There's another book that I remember reading back then, but not sure of the title, I think it might be "My Name is Asher Lev" by Chaim Potok, but not sure.

lucyjayne t1_ja7rl5j wrote

I don't think it's obscure because it literally won the Newbury Medal but I've never forgotten The Twenty-One Balloons (by William Pène du Bois) since I read it as a child.

Economy-Connect t1_ja8biu2 wrote

I don’t think it’s that obscure, but Absolutely Normal Chaos by Sharon Creech had a deep effect on me. I had forgotten about the book for years, but I realized recently that that book, which is written as journal entries, inspired me to start recording my life and infusing it with narrative, which I do to this day. I connected with the main characters feeling of loneliness and her upbringing in the country so so much.

ModernNancyDrew t1_ja8gwls wrote

Mustang: Wild Spirit of the West by Marguerite Henry is about the plight of America's wild horses. It led me to become an activist at around age 9 and I continue to pursue issues around Mustangs. I adopted a Mustang from the BLM about 15 years ago and she is a great little saddle horse. When I was a kid I used to write the author all the time and she always answered me; I still have her letters. I loved her other books as well, but this is the one that really stuck with me, although reading Brighty of the Grand Canyon to my kids led us to adopt a miniature donkey named, "The Reckless Peanut."

thingsthatdontexist7 t1_ja8pazc wrote

The Grounding of Group 6 by Julian F. Thompson. No relation to my actual life, thank goodness, but it held me absolutely spellbound. I've probably read it 20 times.

Dull-Lengthiness5175 t1_ja8qjg1 wrote

House of Stairs by William Sleater. It's sort of a dystopia. A group of kids are experimented on in this weird building that consists of endless stairs going up and down, and in order to get food and water they had to perform weird acts.

DarthDregan t1_ja92acd wrote

Treasure Island

Directly responsible for me being a reader. I thank you, middle school library sale, but my adult wallet does not.

PashasMom t1_ja9pyob wrote

Two On an Island by Bianca Bradbury (two siblings and their dog stranded on an island and have to survive/get back to shore); Knock Three Times by Marion St. John Webb, which is kind of light horror/fairy tale/fantasy involving children being chased by a dwarf encased in a giant pumpkin. Very creepy and eery.

tillerman35 t1_jaelvbt wrote

Son of the Phantom. It's a novelization of the comic book "The Phantom" (also fairly obscure- although they did make a movie about the character, staring Billy Zane).

The book was completely unrelated to the comic book character. And honestly, it probably wasn't all that good. To ten-year-old me, it was the coolest thing ever. I sure wished I could have been the son of a costumed hero deep in the jungles of Africa, come back to America, become a hero on the football field, win the hand of the prettiest girl in school, and then move back to battle the bad guys (because it'd be my duty, of course).

I lost it decades ago to a tomcat who decided my bookcase was the best place to spray his ball musk. It's probably not nearly as good as I remember, so maybe that's not a bad thing.