Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ViskerRatio t1_jab3omj wrote

> Was it maybe because digital presence was not as big a thing before the 90s, when everyone started having computers in their houses?

Undoubtably this was part of the reason. However, knowing the reasons doesn't change the reality - the transition of libraries to community spaces and digital media sites is within the past few decades.

> Yeah, because libraries generally use their conference spaces for their own activities lmao

Libraries didn't have those community spaces. Perhaps the easiest way to see this is to visit a major research university and compare the newer vs. the older libraries. Those older libraries - with their endless stacks, lack of conference rooms or 'open office'-style spaces - are how libraries used to look.

> What you're saying continues to be incorrect.

Again - if what you believe is true, then why aren't any of the institutions that deal with large-scale digital data hiring graduates in library science?

What you're arguing is equivalent to arguing that astrologists are essential to space travel in the face of the reality that NASA doesn't hire astrologists.

hobbitzswift t1_jab5n53 wrote

>Perhaps the easiest way to see this is to visit a major research university and compare the newer vs. the older libraries. Those older libraries - with their endless stacks, lack of conference rooms or 'open office'-style spaces - are how libraries used to look.

Oh, I see! We're talking about two different things. I'm talking about public libraries. Also, yes, even public libraries used to look like that, especially pre-90s. The fact that they've evolved is a good thing because not all media is stored in books anymore, which you obviously agree with.

>What you're arguing is equivalent to arguing that astrologists are essential to space travel in the face of the reality that NASA doesn't hire astrologists.

No, I'm not. I'm arguing that librarians have important jobs that are distinct from other professions. You're arguing "if they're so good, why don't they all do this whole other job"? It's more equivalent to you saying why aren't college professors working in c-suites for businesses or something. Or why don't local public service government workers go work for the FBI.

Edit: left out a word

KickFriedasCoffin t1_jacklax wrote

I trained in nursing and work as a nurse. Apparently that's wrong lol

hobbitzswift t1_jad1rrs wrote

Yes, clearly we should all get degrees in specific fields and then go work in a different field to prove our education was worth something, lol.