Submitted by edward_radical t3_11wkv3o in books

I don’t think Ishiguro really needs an introduction, as he’s one of the most celebrated and acclaimed writers in the world. He recently won the Nobel Prize and has had a few of his very good novels made into very good movies, which rarely happens to anyone.

He’s a writer who, in my opinion, has written two masterpieces and a handful of very good novels, with one novel that is obscenely bad. Now, most writers never even write one masterpiece, so hitting two puts him well past just about everyone else, and I’m willing to forgive the shortcomings of his very bad novel.

Several years ago, I read all of his novels. The success I had with this experiment has led me to do that with many other authors over the years, to sometimes very mixed results. But Ishiguro was a treat and remains a blessedly great experience.

Now, because I’m a novel reader, I’m only going to discuss his novels. So think of this as an introduction and guide to one of the most important living English writers.

Where to Start

Most people will tell you to begin with Remains of the Day, and for good reason(!) since this is one of the best English novels of the 20th Century.

But that’s a recommendation for babies who are only going to read one of his books. We’re collectors, baby. We’re diving into all of them!

And, really, the best place to begin is where Ishiguro’s career began: his fictionalized version of Japan.

A Pale View of the Hills

For a debut, this really is quite good. Like most Ishiguro novels, it is deeply obsessed with memory and the concealing of emotions. Here, we have a character continually returning to the past, before her life was shattered. Etsuko is trying to move past the tragedies of her life, but she falls always back and back and back, receding into memory.

There are big emotions here, but they remain, perhaps, too buried beneath the surface.

In some ways, this and his second novel are practice for his first masterpiece, Remains of the Day.

An Artist of the Floating World

Ono is a once revered artist now living a life primarily cast backwards in time.

Structurally, there is a lot of overlap between Ishiguro’s first three novels. They’re obsessed with memory, with the tiny moments where a life hangs in the balance. But these moments aren’t big or adventurous—they’re the moments when you didn’t take her hand when you could have, when he wanted to know you, to walk you home, but, instead, you turned away.

As a young person, I lived a life of moments. It was a strange life. It was often a sad life. So many moments that may have changed so many things about that sad life, and yet I let them slip through my fingers. All those times I let people walk away from me, or when I walked away from them, not realizing I was saying goodbye for the last time.

These first three novels essentialize this experience with so subtle a hand that you’re not even aware of how deeply Ishiguro is working on you.

Regret. Shame. Beauty. Awe. The love we share without knowing. The love we missed, but only saw too late.

Where A Pale View of the Hills buries its emotions a bit too deep, An Artist of the Floating World is clearer and more precise. It’s a natural development as an artist, but, again, in retrospect, it all feels like practice for his third novel.

If You’re Only Going to Read One

I will do the slightly unusual thing here and list three novels, depending on your mood and temperament.

The Remains of the Day

This is the one that Ishiguro will likely be remembered for. It will find its way into curricula around the world and may define post-War 20th Century British fiction for future generations.

This was the second Ishiguro novel I read, which is what made An Artist of the Floating World and A Pale View of the Hills not work so well for me. Upon reading those, I saw the DNA of this novel. I saw how these early novels—while good in their own right—were pale visions of what Ishiguro was attempting to do. Because those early two novels do really feel like prototypes for this.

And this novel—it is devastating. It is the kind of novel that absolutely shatters you.

This is also possibly the most British novel I’ve ever read. It is deliberately awkward and charming and lightly humorous, giving a nice shape to Stevens, who is maddeningly British.

What begins almost as a joke becomes tragic.

There’s so much to say about this book, but words continually fail me.

The construction itself is strange. A butler sets out on a vacation to meet an old friend and is keeping a diary, but rather than record the vacation itself, he is collapsing backwards through time, consumed by his memories of his friend and the man they served for decades. It’s a novel about the present moment of this man but which tunnels always backwards through the decades to relive a life that at first seems A Bit of Fry & Laurie but gradually reveals itself as something quite different.

The entire novel is buried beneath a British fog, but we begin to feel the stirrings of Stevens’ maelstrom of emotions, even as he narrates them in this detached, formal way.

It’s this juxtaposition, though, that leaves you sobbing.

And, for me, it happened in a single sentence most of the way through the novel, where a man is simply standing on the wrong side of a door.

Never Let Me Go

His second masterpiece is for those who want a bit more science fiction with their devastation.

This was the first Ishiguro novel I read and I picked it up immediately after I left the movie theatre where I watched the film adaptation. Even though I had literally just lived this story for two hours, I picked it up and began reading. Tearful hours later, I had finished it.

The power of Ishiguro, here, is that the same exact story broke my heart twice in the same day for the exact same reasons. Is the adaptation worse than the book? Maybe. I don’t know. I will never know. The two are so caught up inside me that separating them, even in memory, feels impossible.

The novel builds itself slowly, presenting, at first, a story seemingly caught out of time. A rural boarding school and the lives of the children bound there feels like the start to any number of stories.

Like all school kids, they learn about art and life, but they are kept at a remove from the rest of the world. This rarely feels sinister during the novel like one might expect from what could be described as a 1984-esque vision of the future.

Rather, it all feels so common and matter of fact. And so it is that when the reason for this isolation begins to emerge that we understand the towering human shame at the center of this novel, at the center of our post-industrial lives.

Never Let Me Go is so heartbreakingly beautiful that the title alone has never fully left my mouth, my ears. I find myself whispering it at times, returning back to the boy I was just weeks before I moved to Korea, two years before I met my wife.

The sad boy who was running away from his life, who had felt the maelstrom of buried emotions reflected so clearly on screen, bound in paper, that I felt as if I could die. That I would die.

That I’d die unless you told me that you’d never let me go.

The Buried Giant

For those who want a more fantastical spin on Kazuo Ishiguro’s particular kind of tragedy.

Some would call this his third masterpiece, or would consider it his second with Never Let Me Go falling into the very good category. But, for me, it misses the masterpiece level.

It is very good, though.

Like all Ishiguro novels, it is obsessed with memory. With time. With the little moments between people. With the rising totalitarian systems filling in as backdrop to the lives of his characters, whether he’s writing about 1930s Japan, 1930s England, the near future, or even the distant British past.

I found this one a bit too self-consciously Arthurian, honestly. It’s a novel that I felt wanted to wink at me and this is truly one of the things I despise about any novel.

Don’t wink at me.

But, even so, the book has much going for it. It’s a very subtle book, but possibly his least subtle. I also think Ishiguro is doing something particularly strange, which is that he’s literally writing about the distant past. He’s not using it as a mirror or a metaphor for how our lives are now. He’s just writing about people from long ago while also subverting quest fantasy and bringing all his subtlety to work upon his characters.

It is often a beautiful novel full of awe.

Those You Can Skip

Klara and the Sun

There’s nothing wrong with this novel, really, but I do think it’s one of his weakest. In some ways, it’s a bad version of Never Let Me Go. Worse, it’s a less enjoyable or interesting version of Spike Jonze’s movie Her.

There’s a darkness lying beneath and behind this narrative. We’re given glimpses of this unsettling terror, which casts a sinister edge to much of what happens in the novel, but I fear it never manages to connect properly with the narrative.

This terror looming in the background is a constant in Ishiguro’s work. Whether it’s Imperial Japan in An Artist of the Floating World or the Nazi sympathizing upper class of Britain in The Remains of the Day or the quietly totalitarian society of Never Let Me Go or even, to me, the terrifying totalitarian vision that settles as resolution over The Buried Giant, there is always this shadow in Ishiguro’s novels.

The best of his novels find a way to marry these with the buried emotions at the center of the characters’ lives.

Klara and the Sun just never manages to really hit, I think. It’s a very good novel, but if you’ve read his two or three masterpieces, this will feel like a sad glimmer of what he’s capable of.

I mean, if Never Let Me Go or The Remains of the Day had never existed, I might think of this novel more positively. But, I mean, that’s not the world we live in.

The Unconsoled

Perhaps Ishiguro’s strangest and least characteristic novel. It’s postmodern and somewhat surreal. Dizzying digressions that fascinate, in a way, but possibly never completely cohering into something worth really dealing with.

Some consider this his finest work. I have nothing to say to these people.

I have, as it turns out, very little to say about this book at all.

The Bad One

When We Were Orphans

I literally do not know what happened here. I mean, I understand the plot and all that. What I don’t understand is how Ishiguro wrote something that misses so far and so wide at every turn.

Sort of modeled as a hardboiled mystery, even employing the most unreliable of unreliable narrators. The first half feels very familiarly Ishiguro, where a narrator is tumbling back through time. It lacks the intense emotional restraint of his better novels, but it works very well.

The problems begin when Ishiguro begins subverting his own template.

The novel quickly quagmires and becomes increasingly bizarre leading to a major sequence of surrealism that fascinates but feels almost as if it belongs to a different book.

And then, the reveals to the mysteries feels almost senseless. The answers to every question are just told to use in the end by what amounts to a man standing in front of the camera to drop information in your lap that was never available to you, that you never could have put together.

It is all so strange and so very bad.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

JoyousDiversion t1_jcyg7na wrote

The picture is from Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84

edward_radical OP t1_jcyhpgp wrote

Picture? I don't see one and didn't intentionally upload one.

EDIT: ah, I see it on mobile. Not sure why it's there or how to get rid of it.

AtraMikaDelia t1_jcyop79 wrote

If you put a link in your post reddit will find a picture from that link to put in the thumbnail. Occasionally this gets a useful picture, and occasionally it returns something completely unrelated

chrispd01 t1_jcynu4w wrote

I thought it was a comment on the stangeness of his identity

speckledcreature t1_jd0a8xv wrote

I was so confused. I kept reading the description wondering when it was going to mention Murakami haha

billtrociti t1_jcyhy5h wrote

That threw me for a loop at first too. I really did not enjoy it either lol. But I did love Never Let Me Go and have been meaning to give Remains of the Day a go

FewyLouie t1_jd0fdec wrote

I enjoyed it as I keep getting their names mixed up despite knowing they’re quite different writers.

MarsUltor05 t1_jczhusy wrote

I have to disagree with you on Klara and the Sun. I do tend to think it lacks a bit of originality at some points, but I found it to be such an excellently executed novel that was just as heart-wrenching and thought-provoking as his others.

Unless a reader only has enough time or interest (the idea of this baffles me) to read one or two of Ishiguro’s works, I don’t think it’s worth missing Klara and the Sun.

It’s almost universally agreed that When We Were Orphans was a bit of a misfire by Ishiguro though!

icarusrising9 t1_jd00jfd wrote

Klara and the Sun was actually my intro to Ishiguro and I found it wonderful!

KikiCanuck t1_jd0vr13 wrote

My sister read Klara and the Sun, as her first Ishiguro, and loved it. So, so much. So much that I started crying because I knew that Never Let Me Go was waiting under the Christmas tree to blow her mind and devastate her soft little heart, and retroactively tarnish her memory of Klara and the Sun. I'm the worst.

icarusrising9 t1_jd1v46a wrote

I got my brother Never Let Me Go this past Christmas too, what a crazy coincidence! XD (he loved it)

orangeroses_ t1_jd0iakc wrote

Klara was my first and it floored me! And I think set the stage well for the subtleties of The Remains of the Day in my opinion. Never Let Me Go is my next!

kavsekr t1_jd1akck wrote

Agreed. I read Never Let Me Go as my first Ishiguro novel, followed by Remains of the Day later, and then Klara and the Sun after that. I think the part of Klara that really left an impression for me was the specific way that you see the world through Klara's mind. It has a much different feel to it compared to the other novels, and I think its definitely worth a read.

I should try to read some of his other stuff too, but I guess I'll skip When We Were Orphans then.

Lilburrito502 t1_jd181c4 wrote

Thank you for this! It was my first Ishiguro novel and remains my (personal) favorite. I don’t really get the criticism toward it

redditismyrockbottom t1_jd3rwe3 wrote

>it belongs to a different book.
>
>And then, the reveals to the mysteries feels almost senseless. The answers to every question are just told to use in the end by what amounts to a man stand

completely disagree i loved When We Were Orphans but I'm a big Ishiguro-head

AcceptableSleep5002 t1_jcyot8u wrote

Definitely read The Unconsoled. For almost all the reasons they said you shouldn't.

theavroarrow1208 t1_jd12z8m wrote

Here to proudly support the “The Unconsoled is a masterpiece” camp.

yyjhgtij t1_jd18jx9 wrote

Agree - this was my favourite of his novels.

spangledpirate t1_jczyo7s wrote

This is a great post. Really insightful and comprehensive.

However I do think Klara and the Sun is worth reading especially if you love Remains of the Day and Never Let Me Go. To me, they are a triptych bound together by themes of servitude, sacrifice, and identity/personhood.

coffee_moustache t1_jd18sw5 wrote

Great observation. These are the three I have read, but more by happenstance than intention. Looking forward to reading others as a result of this post!

HappyMike91 t1_jcyx7og wrote

I actually quite enjoyed The Unconsoled even though it’s not considered to be Ishiguro’s “best work.” I think that memory (as a concept) is a pretty major theme in most of Ishiguro’s work and it features fairly prominently in The Unconsoled as practically every character in it has their own past and backstory that gets explored. The more digressive aspects of The Unconsoled help it more than hinder it, IMO.

blulouwoohoo t1_jd08hjb wrote

Never Let Me Go is just phenomenal. I adore it

KikiCanuck t1_jd0wai5 wrote

My husband and I were both studying biochemistry when we read this book at the same time. It was a weird and singular experience to read that book in particular as a budding scientist in the process of falling in love with someone else also reading that book...

Greessey t1_jd06gpa wrote

I enjoyed Klara and The Sun :)

BinstonBirchill t1_jcynlwa wrote

I agree that A Pale View of Hills is the best starting point for Ishiguro but I’m afraid to say The Unconsoled is my favorite so far, I think I have the last 4 left to read.

Legreatworrier t1_jczntte wrote

I just finished up reading the Buried Giant and I'm in love with it's minimal take on the fantasy genre. Never read a thing like it and I've been recommending it to friends left and right. I know it will really stick with me and I plan to reread it in a few years, maybe buy my own copy instead of taking it out from the library again.

As for Klara and the Sun, read that just before the new year and it was interesting and lightly disturbing if that makes any sense, this time the minimal writing style lended itself well to Klara's perspective. I wouldn't say it's a favourite though.

PunkandCannonballer t1_jd0j5ng wrote

I think Ishiguro uses sci-fi and fantasy as vehicles to tell emotionally-driven stories, and it's pretty unique. Like you said, the actual genre is very minimal as far as the importance it has to the story being told. Like with Klara or Never Let Me Go, he uses sci-fi as much as he needs to in order to set up the story and then it kind of stops mattering.

Legreatworrier t1_jd25akz wrote

I agree, he definitely has his own approach to story writing, he kind of softly defies genre conventions and I'm very here for it. Emotional-driven stories is a great way to describe it, I read Never Let Me Go quite a long time ago and although I'm a bit foggy now on the plot the feeling of it has definitely stuck around.

justgoride t1_jd0t3wk wrote

Sir, you go too far. The Unconsoled is a work of genius. A total banger, if you will. Retract your criticism or I will have no choice but to demand satisfaction

Captftm89 t1_jcznikc wrote

Thank you for this. Glad you mentioned the film adaptation of Never Let Me Go - one of my favourite book-to-film adaptations.

WuTangEsquire t1_jczfh8g wrote

Only read The Remains of the Day and did not regret it one bit. I agree that if you could only read one of Ishiguro's works, go for this one.

efferocytosis t1_jczu0mv wrote

The Buried Giant doesn’t receive the attention it should

jh4336 t1_jd0cjm5 wrote

Never let me go will stick with me for the rest of my days.

hotheadnchickn t1_jd0lx3d wrote

Klara and the Sun is dope and explores really different themes than Never Let Me Go. Just because they both have speculative fiction aspects doesn't mean they should be lumped together!

When We Were Orphans is his homage to Great Expectations... It's not a good book but that's what it's about.

BigMartinJol t1_jczpki0 wrote

I really liked When We Were Orphans and it was only a few years later I discovered its considered his artistic nadir. The Buried Giant is the one that never did anything for me.

nobloodinmybum t1_jd0fdmw wrote

Couldn't agree more, The Buried Giant at every level falters. The language and dialogue are strained, the overall allegory is effete, and Ishiguro is at his worst there.

Nixinspe t1_jczyl0l wrote

By chance I finished remains of the day last night. I have to say I wasn't expecting to be so blown away when I reached the end. I also found it hard to describe the book when talking to others about it. I really enjoyed the way the book built up. The disconnect of Stevens' thoughts and insights compared to the way he lived moment to moment was really fascinating to observe.

It was my first book by Ishiguro and I'm curious to get more into the rest of his books. Thank you for the detailed list!

Bookishdish1959 t1_jd01bmg wrote

I loved When We Were Orphans. For me, it was the most Ishiguro of all the books of his I have read. It is his style, super-concentrated.

Reading it, at first I felt "this is a stupid and unbelievable mystery novel". Then the penny dropped.

Re the scene where the narrator is being driven around by the driver in the nice car, and they're trying to get close to where he believes is mother is being held: Have you ever watched two children playing, and one is real bossy and the other is rather passive? Suddenly, the passive child says "I'm not playing anymore!", and walks away. I felt this way about the driving scene and immediately felt this was just two insane people playing on the grounds of their insane asylum. Probably with a cardboard box standing in for the car.

redditismyrockbottom t1_jd3s6ic wrote

im glad there is another When We Were Orphan fan out there. I think it really works well at showing how childlike normative western assumptions of how the world works in compared to the messiness of reality.

foundationsofvnm t1_jd0c3og wrote

I loved When We Were Orphans! The ending was.. sudden and jarring and it infuriated me at first but now that I’ve recovered from the emotional damage, I see how it was the only “proper” way to end the book.

ExcessFrenchPress t1_jd2m3l8 wrote

It's my civic duty to defend and extol The Unconsoled- for anyone who enjoys magical realism, this is the closest I've felt to dreaming while reading.

newaccount721 t1_jczptcu wrote

I've only read the buried giant so far but really enjoyed it.

cisternino99 t1_jczrv0i wrote

I was really disappointed by Klara. Definitely give it a miss in favour of the others

salex19 t1_jd01nip wrote

I’m right there with you on his two masterpieces. I started but couldn’t finish The Buried Giant. I just love his themes of regret - something we can all relate to.

anonamen t1_jd0md24 wrote

Don't have anything to add here, but wanted to plug Nocturnes, a collection of short stories. The one other fiction he's written that's not listed here, I believe. It's very good, like everything he's written. He's a remarkably consistent author. Rewarding to read all of, and very manageable as there are only the 6 or 8 (don't have the list in front of me and not going to look it up) books.

Liked your point about order mattering, because he does have a pattern. Once you've read one of Never Let Me Go / Artist of the Floating World / Remains of the Day, you know what to start looking for in the other two. His other books are patterned a bit differently. Buried Giant is probably the most obvious (except for the end, which I still haven't quite worked out). A character states the titular point. But I like that the novel makes the obvious macro-point secondary to the micro-level experience of the main characters.

ughit t1_jd1a5ng wrote

Going to have to disagree on Klara and the Sun. He wrote a character that had an incredibly consistent world view that was so different than ours and was exceptionally well realized.

duckfat01 t1_jczfwpc wrote

As a huge fan of the movie of Remains of the Day, I didn't want to read this book, but wanted to read more by this author. I chose "When we were orphans." I have been struggling through it, and thank you for giving me a reason to ditch it.

maniccupcakes t1_jczxsln wrote

Thank you so much for this descriptive post, I have been interested in reading him so this is very helpful

Umbrella_Viking t1_jczxzww wrote

I just finished reading The Remains of the Day so I’m really getting a kick out of these replies.

SirTacky t1_jd0cq7i wrote

I own The Remains of the Day, it was a blind buy after loving Never Let Me Go, and I've tried several times, but I just can't seem to get into it. I like the way it is written and it feels very tender (?) but I also feel like it isn't going anywhere or something.

Itsspeltwithaz t1_jd3y90q wrote

I'm in the same boat. I've started it a few times and can just never get through it. It just meanders for too long for me to get invested.

lemonsdealbreaker t1_jd141na wrote

I read Never Let Me Go with having no idea what it was about going into it. It’s so beautiful and devastating, and it’s a book that’s haunted me ever since. One of those book highs that you’re always chasing but rarely get.

UppzYourz t1_jd1djlt wrote

I enjoyed an An Artist of the Floating World - but I didn't know there were rules - I may've dodged a bullet as I've not read anything of his since...

phew... I'll consult this post if I decide to wade in with the collectors

Stunning_Ad_5523 t1_jd1utwj wrote

I started with The Remains of the Day and it’s one of my favorite books I’ve ever read!

siestar t1_jd0e0ta wrote

Thank you for this! I am currently reading through his work right now!

JohnFoxFlash t1_jd0k4o4 wrote

I've only read Pale View and Never Let Me Go. I absolutely loved Pale View, I quite enjoyed Never Let Me Go but the story seemed a bit more flimsy once I watched the film afterwards

Vicious_Circle-14 t1_jd0m32d wrote

I’ve only read Never Let Me Go. That’d be a good place to start.

lissawaxlerarts t1_jd0tbbc wrote

Well that was really interesting. I shall plan to read more of him\her? Idk Ishiguro’s gender lol. But what I really must say is, Mr. Edward Radical I like YOUR writing style. If should have a story in your head please write it.

SkyScamall t1_jd0uaq6 wrote

I read Never Let Me Go at around thirteen years old and wasn't able to pick up on enough of it to appreciate it. I read it again at the end of my teens and loved it. I picked up When We Were Orphans and it turned me off trying any of his other books. One was a masterpiece, the other was horrendous. I have been meaning to give him another chance.

SaraTheSlayer28 t1_jd0z5lj wrote

The remains of the day is one of my all time favorites and I never really liked his sci fi as much.

Boy_Meets_Girl t1_jd1441d wrote

Many thanks for an insightful post. You say you have approached other writers this way - have you read David Mitchell perchance?

bauhaus12345 t1_jd14utg wrote

Great post! I could quibble a little (I do think Buried Giant is a masterpiece) but overall, I think you got the breakdown in the right order.

(Also read the linked article about Murakami, believe me when I tell you you made the right choice. I wish I had never read 1Q84, it’s even creepier than his previous stuff sounds!)

emerald_bat t1_jd1a7s9 wrote

Pale View does feel like a rougher version of Artist, which I think is actually a good reason to start with Artist; I could see someone bouncing off him entirely based on Pale View.
I think starting with Klara could also work, as it ends up being a bit lighter than most of these.

juangoat t1_jd1k4t8 wrote

I'm glad everyone can agree that When We Were Orphans is by far his worst work, lol.

Personally, of the Ishiguro canon that I've read, I'd rank accordingly.

Remains of the Day

The Unconsoled

Never Let Me Go

Klara and the Sun

The Buried Giant

When We Were Orphans

Love Remains of the Day. By far my favorite Ishiguro novel. It's what sold me on him. Ishiguro's writing style in general is to kind of say some innocuous statements that have this depth of emotion that is left unspoken by the narrator, but it really hits the peak with Remains of the Day because of how it fits in with Steven's character. We can understand him as this really repressed character because of his position in life and what he's trying to achieve vis a vis his goals in life as well as just his sheer Britishness, i.e. the stiff upper lip and the comedy of errors style humor. His writing style coalesces with the characters and narrative that really make it more than the sum of its parts, unlike something like When We Were Orphans - his writing style doesn't really add to the story as whole.

Second is The Unconsoled for me - I remember going to one of Ishiguro's talks, and at the end he was taking questions from the audience. Someone of course had a question about The Unconsoled, and Ishiguro said something like, "Someone always asks about it, and it's always because they either loved it or hated it." I'm obviously in the love it camp. Yes, it doesn't really make sense. It doesn't need to. Something that gets understated about Ishiguro's writing is how funny he can be. I'm thinking of situations like when >!Stevens is trying to get out of meeting Miss Kenton, and he's like, "She's making a mountain out of a molehill. Can't believe she's making such a big deal out of nothing. In fact, it's such a trivial matter that I'm going to avoid topic by sneaking out of the window so she can't confront me." Hilarious way of letting the audience know you can't trust that motherfucker Stevens.!< I brought that up to say The Unconsoled is by far his funniest work. I rarely laugh out loud when reading - I may occasionally think, "That's funny," or smile, but very rarely actually laugh. I laughed quite a bit when reading this book. I do have to caveat that with the fact that it's been years since I read it, so I might be due for a reread to reevaluate my position.

&#x200B;

I thought Never Let me go was decent, I read it little while after The Remains of the Day and it just couldn't reach those lofty heights that The Remains of the Day did.

&#x200B;

I liked Klara and the Sun - the proto robo religion thing vibed with me, especially with the reveal at the end where >!Klara is telling this story from memory after basically getting junked. Kinda similar vibes to Never Let Me Go in the sense of these "soulless" subhumans (In their respective societies, anyway) hitting their point of planned obsolescence.!<

&#x200B;

Buried Giant - Kinda meh. Read it, forgot most of it. Did like the ending, though.

&#x200B;

When We Were Orphans - Nothing else needs to be said, lmao.

jeanneleez t1_jd1r2ee wrote

Why no mention of Norwegian Wood? I loved it. Plus 1Q84 is amazing.

Itsspeltwithaz t1_jd3yh14 wrote

That's Murakami. We're talking about Ishiguro.

jeanneleez t1_jd9m764 wrote

Got it. Confused why Murakami’s book cover is showing up as part of OP’s post…

HumanTea t1_jd1y572 wrote

"Those who want some science fiction with their devastation" truer words have never been been spoken. I had no idea what never let me go was about when I picked it up. I was mentally complaining halfway through thinking "nothing's happening", was in tears by the end of it.

jakobjaderbo t1_jd26adz wrote

I for one did enjoy When We Were Orphans, especially once I started to glompse beyond the narrators perception of things. Although I agree with some of your negative points about it. >!His mother's fate, seriously?!<.

In fact, I enjoyed it more than Buried giant, but that may be because I read that one translated and my complaints are mostly about language.

Glad to hear that the rest of his books are good though, will read them, eventually!

farseer4 t1_jd2foox wrote

Thanks for this. I have read Remains of the Day and Never Let Me Go, and I intend to read more of his books. This is the kind of post that should be getting thousands of upvotes here.

MrMagpie91 t1_jd2mlni wrote

I started with The Buried Giant, but maybe I shouldn't have, lol. It wasn't bad but I didn't enjoy the prose that much. I definitely want to read more of his work though.

TheManWhoWeepsBlood t1_jd2r6b6 wrote

Buried Giant was my gateway drug. I do appreciate his style of writing and remains of the day was heartbreaking.

The film adaptation was also emotionally affective, especially with Hopkins at the helm as poor Mr. Stevens.

Klara is currently on my shelf, next in line to be read!

hyejuhaseul t1_jd6sal0 wrote

I just finished reading Klara and the Sun and I loved it! So excited to read more of his works :)

haecceitarily t1_jd0bt9u wrote

So, just because we've got Murakami in the title, I REALLY want to cast about 10 million votes for Killing Commendatoree

His prose and style are reminiscent of Ishiguro and the story is wacky without being overblown and fantastical without being completely unbelievable.

pokepok t1_jczxzkk wrote

1Q84 is the only book in the last five years I just stopped reading partway through. I found it creepy and I just could tell I wouldn’t like it, but I know several people who loved it.

−3