Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

spotted-cat t1_jdphupr wrote

All I have to say is that I’m disappointed that your review does not mention Eponine even once who has the most interesting and tragic story of all the characters imo.

The__Imp t1_jdqn1ua wrote

Poor Eponine. She has the Thernadiers for parents. She doesn’t even have a transformative supporter figure. And yet she is still able to become a good person. Her action to stop her dad from robbing the house shows true selfless love. It wouldn’t have hurt her personally. In fact if it scared Cosette away it could have benefitted her. But it would have hurt Marius. And she takes her father’s wrath to do it.

ChildhoodSadd OP t1_jdsfrmx wrote

That's true! Fantine was pretty dang tragic as well. Right before I posted this I actually watched the movie with Hugh Jackman and was frustrated with how on the nose Eponine's love for Marius was. The book did such a good job making the reader question her motivations and come to the conclusion themselves that she is in love with Marius.

​

I should have added Eponine's death to Marius' "little bitch section" because, if I'm remembering right, despite Eponine dying, Marius doesn't even hear her confess her love to him while she's bleeding out from sacrificing herself for him. He's too focused on Cosette's letter. Damn, you are right, that is truly tragic