Submitted by WSB_CUCK t3_yhw5vy in books

How do I overcome this? Audiobooks have never been an issue for me and I simply don’t know where to start.

I always thought that I just didn’t enjoy reading and never really looked into why until I began to question it. I feel as though my aversion to reading has taken a toll on my education (and continues to as I’m still in college).

This issue spans beyond just college textbooks though as I would love to be able to find enjoyment in novels that have had movies made about them that I enjoyed.

If anyone has advice, please, please enlighten me. What are some steps I can take to find enjoyment in books?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Truthez t1_iug0tgs wrote

Read with your voice instead of in your head?

Material-Rice1122 t1_iug25w5 wrote

When I started to read The Murderbot Diaries, I was struggling a little bit with the tone (I was not aware it was THAT sarcastic). I heard the audiobook of the first book at it helped me A LOT with the next novels!

unknownbeast009 t1_iugeacm wrote

Focus on what you are reading and ignore the voice in your head.

Grouchy-Weight-4950 t1_iugpg1k wrote

Something I’ve always found interesting, is the mindset one has going into a book. Try listening to something that makes you laugh, a sarcastic comedian or amusing audiobook. Ask A Ninja Presents: The Ninja Handbook (audiobook, you can actually find it on YouTube) works wonders for me.

Then, I will start reading right after. The story comes oddly to life, with my spirits raised. Even the dullest book can become a source of amusement.

Try it yourself. Who knows, might work for you too. Like that comedic voice that made you laugh is narrating the story.

goodvorinman t1_iui6vyr wrote

This is more of an audiobook comment but Steven pacey is an incredible narrator with a huge selection of voices and accents. Not sure what genre your into but as an example in the first law series his internal monologue of one of the main characters is different but still distantly recognisable as him from his speaking voice due to the lack of teeth causing a lisp

tswiftdeepcuts t1_iujb0he wrote

Just don’t subvocalize in your head, read the words without saying them in your head.