Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

fallingcave t1_iy3saq6 wrote

Just go ahead and read All of Ursula k. Le Guin.

SoothingDisarray t1_iy3sfsi wrote

Check out The Sympathizer by Vietnamese-American professor Viet Thanh Nguyen. Amazing book.

It's more about post-colonialism and anti-racism, less about environmentalism/queerness.

Edit to add: His follow up, The Committed, continues the story in France, and is even more explicitly a post-colonialism story.

Y_Brennan t1_iy3ssg7 wrote

The Lord of the rings and Dune are environmental.

Phat-et-ic OP t1_iy3swd5 wrote

Woah I think I recently accidentally bought the sequel to this! The Committed. Only when I started reading did I realise it was not the first part so I stopped. But definitely will look for The Sympathiser soon.

SoothingDisarray t1_iy3vlab wrote

Ha! Yeah, you definitely need to read The Sympathizer first. The Sympathizer is a standalone/complete novel, but The Committed is very much a not-standalone continuation. It has constant references to the first book and very little handholding about it--by which I mean it doesn't waste time explaining what happened and expects you to remember. :D

Y_Brennan t1_iy3w1f7 wrote

Check out Loaded By Christos Tsiolkas a great look at what it's like to be a queer second generation immigrant in Australia. Nihilistic as well.

CorndogGeneral t1_iy3zb0z wrote

Silent Spring by Rachel Carson maybe? It’s basically the OG environmental activism book for the US at least. Led to the founding of the EPA and harsher pesticide regulations.

spidertiti t1_iy422uw wrote

The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous - Ocean Vuong

The Road - Cormac McCarthy

Euphoria - Lily King

A Sand County Almanac - Aldo Leopold

Eating Animals - Jonathan Safran Foer

SoothingDisarray t1_iy42cv5 wrote

I think Dune is more anti-colonialist literature than it is environmental. However, the anti-colonialist nature of the book suffers from the fact that it's a typical "white savior" style storyline--although I'm not actually sure of the race of the characters, but you hopefully know what I mean: person from outside the minority group comes in to lead minority group to freedom.

As for the environmental side, "environment" is a big part of it, but I wouldn't consider it an "environmental novel." Though, maybe? There are plot points about the future livability of the planet and how the spice farming empire has conflicting goals in that regard.

I guess my question is: are Dune and LotR alluding to environmental and colonialist themes (a) as a way of adding depth/color to the plot, or (b) as a way of commenting on our current society?

I think a lot of SFF uses allusions to deepen and richen the story being told, but without attempting to make specific commentary on those themes. (Which is fine! It makes books better for different reasons!)

Based on the books the OP listed, it feels like they are looking for books built around these topics as a commentary on modern society. (However, whatever, you can't go wrong reading Dune or LotR.)

pithyretort t1_iy43b2b wrote

Hello. Per rule 3.3, please post book recommendation requests in /r/SuggestMeABook or in our Weekly Recommendation Thread. Thank you.

Y_Brennan t1_iy43ruw wrote

I think the use of typical white saviour narrative is a great way of criticising colonialism. On the environmental front you are correct I should have said that Dune is ecological. LoTR is definitely environmental and critical of industrialization. But it is not anti colonial.

SoothingDisarray t1_iy46iqm wrote

True! Heart of Darkness, one of the great anti-colonial novels, definitely plays on the white savior myth as well. In fact, it's often misinterpreted as a pro-colonialist novel, or at least one that is non-critical of colonialism, because of this. Well, and also because of other reasons, but I think many interpretations that use a modern point of view lose sight of Conrad's intent.

sudo999 t1_iy5zdt4 wrote

Dunno about all three and mods removed the text of your post so I can't see what it says, but The Ecology of Freedom sounds right up your alley.