Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

--misunderstood-- t1_ix7ceyb wrote

I live in a regional town in Australia so our local library is pretty dismal too.

I have resorted to buying books. I use the website booko to find the cheapest price. I do have a Kobo and have tried the kobo unlimited subscription, but again, the offering was pretty slim.

jeffislouie t1_ix7d0j7 wrote

Library. In the US, there are local libraries with ebooks and they have sister libraries that you can also read ebooks. If you have a prime membership, you can find free ebooks too. Overdrive is one app that might help.

−6

SayaEvange t1_ix7dhuh wrote

So if you're reading a lot and can swing the cost, Orange County Library System in Florida offers a virtual card for nonresidents (including those outside the US) for $125/yr. Then you would be able to use Libby or one of the other library apps and given their size, they'll definitely have a lot of the books you're looking for. Just may have to wait on them

Edit: just to clarify that this only works if you can afford that much upfront and read enough to justify it. It's the only library I know of that will give access without requiring a US address, unfortunately it's also one of the more expensive ones

bendy-trip t1_ix7dofq wrote

Libraries are slowly dying because everybody has the same opinion on them, they’re underfunded, the staff are underpaid and this results in a rundown place full of old battered books and librarians with a bad attitude that have become part of the furniture.

AM_Night t1_ix7e78o wrote

E-books+iphone. Because I don't always have enough money for paper editions, so I have to play the Jack Sparrow.

Missy_Pixels t1_ix7gi1i wrote

If you like classics at all you can download a lot for free from sites like Gutenberg.

This isn't one I do but both Kobo and Kindle also have a monthly subscription service where you get access to a lot of books. It might depend what kind of books you like but I know some people who get a lot of books that way.

Keep an eye out for sales. I'm subscribed to Kobo's email newsletters. A lot of books on my reading list have gone on sale for really cheap and I found out because of those newsletters. A lot of big bestsellers go on sale eventually too.

Are there any Little Libraries around where you live? There's one beside where I live and I've found a lot of really interesting books checking it semi regularly.

cadmiumredorange t1_ix7hs25 wrote

I'm always browsing Kobo's sales. I've found some really amazing books that way (and also a couple clunkers that taught me to always read the sample downloads), plus a lot of books I was already interested in reading. A lot of popular books end up in their sales, you just have to be on the look out for them. A lot of classics can also be gotten super cheap on their website, like a single "book" that's actually comprised of like fifty books for $2.99.

JTSkittrell t1_ix7ieie wrote

Install the borrowbox app and log in with your local library credentials, it has loads of audiobooks and ebooks and is completely free to use

harsh1717 t1_ix7pxkq wrote

I know plenty of website, to download literally any book.

And as far as reading is conserned computer screen is the first option. Me,computer, corner of my room.

That's more than enough.

NiceDetective t1_ix7t8t3 wrote

Since you are in the UK, you might check out Bookswap. They look like an affordable way to get physical books. The alternative is FB marketplace

Griffen_07 t1_ix7v44w wrote

You go the used bookstore route if you can. One of the ones where you trade in books for 1/4 cover and buy at 1/2 cover. It stretches things.

I would try the website of every major city library system and see if any do non-resident cards.

Also at a certain point you give up and start reading what the library stocks. This is why I went on a giant mystery and thriller bender in high school/college. I could not find fantasy but mysteries, thrillers, and romances had a lot of space.

satisfiedwhisper t1_ix7vpjl wrote

Physical books: secondhand shops, or borrow from friends.

Ebooks/audiobooks: subscription services like bookbeat and storytel (they often have deals where you get a month for 1 euro or something like that, I rarely pay full price), librivox, amazon deals (a shit ton of free books too), and I have library cards in several cities, but that might not work in every country.