Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Vintagegrrl72 t1_j1ur40b wrote

She’s a terrible writer. I tried two of her books. Very repetitive language, annoying passive construction of sentences, poor character development, skims the surface of trauma to create superficial plots. I don’t know why someone puts suicide, rape, and domestic violence in their books then markets them as romance novels? I will not read any more of her books.

Independent-Play-126 OP t1_j1v91qb wrote

Yeah that sounds a lot like fanfiction. If an author is going to include some type of trauma at least they should do it right. Otherwise people actually going through it could feel invalidated

ViniVidiVelcro t1_j1uy1v7 wrote

This sub has discussion threads every few days about how much people don't like Colleen Hoover. Often phrased as if it were some new revelation.

Personally, I never read her books. They don't sound like they would be to my taste, and my reading list is long enough already.

If you want to give her a try, you can always borrow her books from a local library and stop reading if you don't like.

Or if you don't want to give the books I try, don't. You don't have to try reading something just because it is popular.

Independent-Play-126 OP t1_j1v95hl wrote

Ohh I didn't know as I joined this sub pretty recently. I personally don't think I will read her books I was just wondering if im missing out

ViniVidiVelcro t1_j1vmdoh wrote

No problem. Welcome aboard!

Personally, I don't think that you are missing out unless you particularly feel interested in reading the books for a reason beyond their popularity on social media. I feel like life is so short and there are so many fascinating books to read that it only makes sense to read the books one is interested in reading unless you have to read others for work, school, or other similar reasons.

strvwbery t1_j1un6qv wrote

Pros: Fast paced. You can finish reading within hours

Cons: Some of the worst plots I have personally read. I think she tries to make them very "emotional" and almost all characters have a similarity where they have experienced trauma but I don't think they are well done books If you are not a beginner to reading then I would say avoid them. But they are unfortunately easy to get into because of how fast paced they are

I have read 4 books because of how popular they were on tiktok and I personally would not recommend them to anyone

renlotus t1_j1un8ly wrote

I find a lot of her protagonists to be weak and naive. It’s also like she requires the love interest to traumatize the woman in some way but she’ll still be in love with him and come up with a ridiculous HEA. They are pretty cliche and not above basic fanfic level writing so you’re definitely not missing out.

justdoinmynails t1_j1v11lm wrote

There has always been and will always be writers like her. They specialize in easy cheesy reads. It’s not high literary writing but all books have their place. I’m more of the camp that as long as people are reading, that’s all that matters. I’ve read two of her books and have no need to read any more. But if others love her, so be it. They’re reading and that’s enough for me.

Independent-Play-126 OP t1_j1v9k56 wrote

Yeah I totally agree. From what I've read from the other comments I feel like a lot of younger teenage girls would probably enjoy her books. Everyone has their own opinions and I was just asking the question because I wanted to see opinions of more advanced readers instead of people from tiktok.

justdoinmynails t1_j1vd27e wrote

It’s the difference between watching a show on the Hallmark channel vs. watching a show in HBO.

wrappedinplastic79 t1_j1uswky wrote

I manage a book store and those things fly off the shelves. Personally I have no interest at all whatsoever.

overthebridge65 t1_j1uuc68 wrote

I’m going to go against the posts here but I really enjoy her books, they’re entertaining to me and I’ve enjoyed the ones I’ve read so far.

Independent-Play-126 OP t1_j1va592 wrote

Everyone has their own opinions. I'm guessing that most people on this sub are more advanced readers so I just wanted to see the opinions. Thank you for your insight!

Tayreads608 t1_j1uvbqq wrote

I mean, they are objectively poorly written books. However, sometimes reading trashy stuff is fun. I read a lot of horror and literary fiction so taking a break to read a badly written romance was nice. Look, I read Verity, I hated it, but would read it again.

Independent-Play-126 OP t1_j1v9ooq wrote

Yeah I also like picking up a lighter book from time to time just for the plot even if it's not the best

Chrissy1002 t1_j1v7f9d wrote

I read Verity and couldn’t finish It ends with us. I found Verity to be very good but also have some cringey elements. Both were page turners but at the same time I had a icky feeling in my stomach from reading all of the trauma descriptions which is why I made a decision to not finish it ends with us.

CrazyCatLady108 t1_j1vdxui wrote

Please post requests for reviews in our Weekly Recommendation thread. Thank you!