Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

bitch_with_a_w t1_j28dals wrote

I’d love suggestions for suspenseful horror or mystery with a slow build up. Bonus points if there’s excellent character development. Some books I love include The Haunting of Hill House and We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson and Pet Sematary, The Shining, Doctor Sleep, and Salem’s Lot by Stephen King.

JasonAble t1_j28z98c wrote

I really enjoyed The Terror by Dan Simmons, so you could give that a try if the premise sounds interesting to you. It definitely nails the slow burn suspense/horror elements you mentioned, and I personally loved the survival horror aspects of the novel. Many of the characters were interesting to me but I wouldn't describe character development as a big feature.

Otherwise, Lock Every Door was a fun YAish listen, and more character driven.

I'm also a King fan – if you haven't read The Outsider or The Institute yet, you might like them. The Outsider has more of a true crime bent and The Institute is tonally similar to Doctor Sleep.

bitch_with_a_w t1_j2a6rfi wrote

Thanks, I’ll check those out! I actually almost bought The Institute yesterday but I put it back on the shelf because I wasn’t sure. Knowing it has similarities to Doctor Sleep has me convinced.

Tayreads608 t1_j2a23nu wrote

This is my go to “if you like Shirley Jackson try one of these” lists

White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi

The Icuras Girl by Helen Oyeyemi

My Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado

In The Dream House by Carmen Maria Machado (memoir about an abusive same sex relationship)

The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter (grotesque, erotic, gothic, feminist fairytales)

The Magic Toyshop by Angela Carter

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill

Beloved by Toni Morrison

Mouthful of Birds by Samanta Schweblin

Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh

bitch_with_a_w t1_j2a6fvm wrote

Thank you so much! I’ve read The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter and I enjoyed it, so I’m keen to check out your other suggestions.

Wealth_and_Taste t1_j2aqr9n wrote

I cannot recommend Rebecca by Du Maurier enough. Not exactly horror or even mystery per say, but it's very unsettling, gothic, atmospheric, psychological, and very much a slow-burn. If you loved Haunting of Hill House, you'll probably love Rebecca. They actually have quite a bit of similarities between them. If Hill House was a gothic romance instead of gothic horror, it would read like Rebecca.

bitch_with_a_w t1_j2b0ypy wrote

That sounds like something I’d love. Definitely going to check it out. Thanks!