Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

cthulhubert t1_j2ac750 wrote

Yeah, I feel like this is starting to turn into one of those things where there's a kernel (well, maybe more than a kernel) of truth, but it's blown out of proportion by a critical feedback loop.

Like it is a legitimate criticism of the books! Dresden is diegetically shallow and focusing on women's bodies and Butcher puts a lot of sexy women in the books. And I hate that people act like the sexism being diegetic or part of the noir detective tropes cancel those facts out; they're still choices the author made, and those choices are going to have a negative impact on many readers! But people are getting very un-measured about those criticisms, and act like it's as thoroughly drenched in misogyny as much worse offenders. His female characters are often badasses and have agency and interiority that the honestly shitty writers don't give women.

Griffen_07 t1_j2ak3pi wrote

That still don’t mean Dresden is a book I’m ever going to recommend. It just means that Butcher is not a completely horrible writer. The Dresden books are still middling under a deep layer of crap. I bounced off after Harry wanted good boy points for not having sex with his best friend’s daughter who was put in his care. He is a creep and was written to be a creep.

I’ve dropped books for less. Dresden at least avoids rape which puts it above a good chunk of books like Pern and the dragon roofies.