Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Amayeoldnow t1_j62wrd1 wrote

I always thought it was because Stapleton was a relation and would have inherited the estate if Sir Henry died. So it would be easy to point fingers at him if the death was obviously murder. If Sir Henry died of fright/heart attack and then suddenly Stapleton is found and inherits then it’s a story for the society columns. If Sir Henry was shot and suddenly Stapleton inherits that looks like motive and TADAA even Inspector Lestrade could find the murderer. 😆

ricarleite2 OP t1_j62wwy7 wrote

Ar the epilogue Holmes is asked about Stapleton being an obvious culprit regardless of the dog due to him living under a false name nearby, and Holmes pretty much answers "Yeah well oopsie, who knows?".

Amayeoldnow t1_j62x69z wrote

Stapleton also thought he was superior to EVERYONE and especially all the local yokels. I really don’t think he thought he would be found out and if he was he wouldn’t be convicted. The dude was nuts and made me suspicious of anyone who catches butterflies. “Butterfly net? Yeah sure. Bet you have a starved hellhound hidden somewhere.” 🤣