Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

fliponymousredux t1_j6jevel wrote

Number 0: the right to read as fast or as slow as suits you without being told to change.

I can't count the number of times fast readers who are struggling with a book are told to "just slow down". Fast readers, contrary to popular opinion, are not missing nuances or failing to comprehend. Slow readers are not falling behind or spending too long on a book.

A reader is never too fast or too slow; they are reading at precisely the correct speed for themselves.

vivahermione t1_j6k06nm wrote

So much this! As a fast reader, if I slow down, I'm more likely to lose the plot. It's better to stick to my natural reading speed, then reread a specific sentence or paragraph if I need clarification.

varda_elentari_913 t1_j6le4hf wrote

Yeah! My mom and I are both speed readers (like I finished War and Peace in three days) and people always ask if I actually read the book or just skimmed through it. I did read it, I just read really fast.

GaryTheCommander t1_j6mr3s9 wrote

Yes but there is a certainly point where ridicule makes sense. War and Peace in 3 days is just a great way to make sure you don't let anything sink in.

Bananaman932 t1_j6lyke5 wrote

I have a story somewhat related to this because I'm a speed reader.

In my elementary school, I used to read as much as possible. Kindergarten teacher was surprised at how quickly I was reading books but she was extremely supportive so after making sure I knew what the book was about she personally helped me with vocabulary and reading comprehension. I still remember her name to this day and give her credit for why I used to go into school happily (until the dreaded years of high school)

But... 1st grade I had a horrible teacher. I don't know why she had everything against me. Still remember that she made me reread a book 4 times because she didn't believe I knew what I was reading. Didn't even ask me questions to test my reading comprehension (Well she asked one but I got it wrong but she still didn't ask more). >!I have a lot more stories about her but that's for another subreddit.!<

I think this is why some people don't like reading in general. They can get discouraged pretty easily when younger if there's not enough support. I was lucky with loving parents and great teachers but that one year of having a terrible teacher almost made me stop reading for some time.