Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

lgdub_ t1_j67h6j0 wrote

Books about US presidents similar to A Promised Land?

I just read (listened to audiobook read by author) A Promised Land by Barak Obama. I loved the candidness of the book and the way he lets the reader in on some of the intimate details of his political career from a more personal perspective than I’m used to experiencing from a politician. It is long but very engaging and makes the complex job of being the worlds most powerful person seem like something simple and understandable. It made me feel a lot of empathy for him as just a regular guy with a big responsibility. I highly recommend it to anyone regardless of where you live or what your political views are.

Anyway… after reading this book I thought it might be a fun challenge for myself to read a book about all (or at least some) other US presidents. Does anyone have any favorites or good recommendations?

If they are similar to the autobiographical A Promised Land that I just read, that would be great but they don’t have to be. Just an interesting and engaging book that entertains while informing about the life and times of a US president. (Also open to recommendations of books similar to A Promised Land that are about other figures who weren’t US presidents).

Thanks!

dirtysnow8 t1_j67i28z wrote

try “You Never Forget Your First” by Alexis Coe

lgdub_ t1_j67i84s wrote

Looks like a good one to start the list off with! Thanks!