Submitted by AutoModerator t3_10mi64j in books

Welcome to our weekly recommendation thread! A few years ago now the mod team decided to condense the many "suggest some books" threads into one big mega-thread, in order to consolidate the subreddit and diversify the front page a little. Since then, we have removed suggestion threads and directed their posters to this thread instead. This tradition continues, so let's jump right in!

The Rules

• Every comment in reply to this self-post must be a request for suggestions.

• All suggestions made in this thread must be direct replies to other people's requests. Do not post suggestions in reply to this self-post.

• All unrelated comments will be deleted in the interest of cleanliness.

How to get the best recommendations

The most successful recommendation requests include a description of the kind of book being sought. This might be a particular kind of protagonist, setting, plot, atmosphere, theme, or subject matter. You may be looking for something similar to another book (or film, TV show, game, etc), and examples are great! Just be sure to explain what you liked about them too. Other helpful things to think about are genre, length and reading level.

All Weekly Recommendation Threads are linked below the header throughout the week to guarantee that this thread remains active day-to-day. For those bursting with books that you are hungry to suggest, we've set the suggested sort to new; you may need to set this manually if your app or settings ignores suggested sort.

If this thread has not slaked your desire for tasty book suggestions, we propose that you head on over to the aptly named subreddit /r/suggestmeabook.

• The Management

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

_buzzlightbeer t1_j63ntu8 wrote

Suggest me a novel in the style of George Saunders. I love his wit and characters, but am looking for a novel opposed to a selection of short stories (I’ve read Lincoln in the Bardo already). If it helps I also enjoy Fredrik Backman, Ray Bradbury, Jonathan Safran Foer and Donna Tartt. Thank you!

Strict_Structure2461 t1_j6432zj wrote

Wlw books without trauma? I just want a wlw book where that isn’t the main focus and the characters just happen to be wlw. Does that make sense? I don’t wanna have to read about homophobic people or even parents and queer trauma. It doesn’t have to be pure fluff but just not focused on queer people dealing with homophobia. It can be Turkish or English. I’m also fluent in German but I usually don’t enjoy German books but if it’s a good one I’d still be willing to check it out :)

kodran t1_j66j06h wrote

This won't be the usual recommendation, but I think you might enjoy it a lot.

The long way to a small angry planet by Becky Chambers. Beautiful, poignant, funny, two main characters fulfill your no drama wlw request without it being THE focus of the novel, and you'll have a good time like hanging with new friends.

Strict_Structure2461 t1_j69s6ae wrote

It’s sounds like a fun cozy read which I’m really into atm, I’ll definitely check it out. Thank you :)

kodran t1_j6a6ilq wrote

It is!

Also no conflicts are solved by punching their way through them and it is very agile. I hope you enjoy it and, if possible and you do read it, let me know some time what you thought about it.

Strict_Structure2461 t1_j6emeo8 wrote

I'd love to let you know! Currently reading one of us is lying and it's kinda dragging so it's gonna take up quite some time but I'll def check the long way to a small angry planet out next :)

Zikoris t1_j69xh86 wrote

You could try Even Though I Knew the End by C.L. Polk. The main focuses are magic, hunting a serial killer, and Faustian bargains.

canehdianchick t1_j68m35o wrote

What books have you read that were absolute stand alone stand outs?! You can’t really compare them to anything but they changed you the moment you read them? Looking for lands not yet wandered. Seeking a story I haven’t yet experienced through other characters or worlds in other pages.

Thanks!

Front_Advertising952 t1_j694mf6 wrote

My brilliant friend by elena ferrante. haven’t read anything like it, haven’t read anything better than it. ignore the book cover, their marketing team is horrible and makes it look like one of those $2 trashy romances.

canehdianchick t1_j69fuly wrote

Found it on my Libby library app!!! Signed it out :) I’ll start it as soon as I finish the book I’m on. Thank you

zebrafish- t1_j69u16y wrote

Freshwater by Akwaeke Emezi. Thought it was outstanding, have never read anything like it!

Historical_Avocado_8 t1_j68u55d wrote

Magical realism about the ocean please. Thank you!

jellyrollo t1_j6b27sy wrote

Not sure if this exactly fits your criteria, but the first thing that came to mind was The Bone People by Keri Hulme.

Ninja_Gandalf_Cyborg t1_j63gu9p wrote

Recommend me some good hard sci-fi. Not in the background either, I want it to be full of long rambling explanations about how exactly things work. I'm a fan of Peter Watts, Greg Egan, and Charles Stross. If you're familiar with that last author, think along those lines except with more nuanced (better) characters. I've read The Expanse, so don't bother with that one.

brennusbrennus t1_j673fw6 wrote

Wier's The Martian.

Ninja_Gandalf_Cyborg t1_j67x5mx wrote

I've read it, along with Artemis and Project Hail Mary. That's a good suggestion though.

canehdianchick t1_j69g5pm wrote

Of the 3 which do you recommend starting with — this comment thread caught my eye.

gsauce8 t1_j63zmv5 wrote

Is it worth reading Poppy War if I didn't like Babel all that much? My specific issues with Babel was that it was far too heavy handed.

PJsinBed149 t1_j671054 wrote

Then probably no on Poppy Wars. I found all the war stuff really heavy handed, and seemed copy-pasted from Wikipedia page on the Rape of Nanking

gsauce8 t1_j6f5etj wrote

Thanks for the response! Yea I didn't enjoy how heavy handed the anti-colonialism was in Babel so I'm guessing Poppy Wars is also the same.

Minmin0_0_0 t1_j64jven wrote

I’m looking for monthly book subscription recommendations!

I love fantasy and dark romance and I live in EU. I know about Fairyloot and Illumicrate but I’m open to others. If you say fairyloot which one would you recommend based on the genres mentioned above: YA or adult?

iburneddinner t1_j65np9v wrote

I'm looking for a non-fiction book to review for a European history class and I'm at a loss. The time period is 1789-1870. I am hoping for something perhaps in a more narrative style. I'm interested in women's history, childbirth practices during that time, and medical scientific advances (a book on Burke and Hare would not go amiss), dog breeding during that time maybe?

The book should be trying to make some sort of argument or present some sort of idea so I can explain whether the author made their point well.

TammieBrowne t1_j66kqw3 wrote

Maybe The Butchering Art by Lindsey Fitzharris? It's set in the Victorian era, so towards the end of the period you asked for, and it's about surgery, Joseph Lister in particular.

Try asking in one of r/AskHistorian's weekly thread about book recommendations. Someone over there must know about the time period.

Raineythereader t1_j6dtghf wrote

Maybe "The Ghost Map" by Steven Johnson, about cholera and public health in mid-19th-century London?

iburneddinner t1_j6dtvgp wrote

I ordered that one yesterday!

I've picked three and I'll read them all and see which ones I'll be able to write about best. "The Ghost Map", "The Butchering Art", and "The Doctor Dissected" by Caroline McCracken-Flesher. A bit different than the other two, but I found a copy in my budget and went for it.

OwlFeather21 t1_j67dezl wrote

I used to be one of those kids who would read a big ol' chapter book every couple of days and would just get LOST (in the best way) in the story, the characters, the world building, etc. Now, I still enjoy reading but I can't remember the last book that I just couldn't put down because I was so immersed in it. Even as an English teacher, I struggle to read because I struggle to find books I love.

What book suggestions do you guys have for adults who want to get lost in reading again? What are some good can't-put-it-down reads? As for genre, I'm looking for books in the fantasy or maybe even mystery realm. I read several books in the Mistborn series and enjoyed it, but not enough to continue past the third book or so. Wheel of Time also hasn't really gripped me.

I'm pretty open to suggestions across many subgenres of fantasy as well as teen/YA books. Honestly, I'll take anything good at this point 😅

canehdianchick t1_j68lrhg wrote

I recently took up reading again after years of feeling too busy to escape. Clock Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr was the perfect choice. Not only did I get lost in the 3 different worlds it explores— the book itself is an ode to the importance of books, reading, and the ways that they can alter the paths of many— or tangle them together.

Thesacred_texts t1_j6b4oty wrote

Have you tried the Mistborn books by Brandon Sanderson? It is my most recent immersed-cannot-put-the-book-down read. Hope it helps 😁🙏

OwlFeather21 t1_j6b4sbw wrote

Yeah, I read the first few books but then honestly kind of lost interest :(

Thesacred_texts t1_j6b5wvm wrote

I didn't see that you mentioned it in the original post lol I'm sorry.

Hmm maybe His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman? Or something like The Witcher saga by Sapkowski? I know I'm recommending stuff that comes from TV shows but don't let the adaptations fool you 😊

OwlFeather21 t1_j6b6cvy wrote

Lol no worries. I did read the first Witcher book, I don't remember why I didn't continue. I'll look into His Dark Materials. Thanks for the suggestions!

Sploosh_Mcgoo t1_j6buysh wrote

I loved the games, and the Netflix series. But the Witcher books man, I read the first one and for me it was just slog. The wiring style was just hard to get into. I didn't continue either

beards-are-beautiful t1_j699tm6 wrote

I'm looking for some interesting novellas to read - I just finished All Systems Red by Martha Wells and really enjoyed it.

I generally enjoy fantasy books but don't mind some sci-fi too. Horror is okay too. I like snarky protagonists and nothing too bleak.

Zikoris t1_j69w5ho wrote

Purple and Black by K.J. Parker is one of the best fantasy novellas I've ever read, and is definitely snarky and funny while also being layered and interesting.

beards-are-beautiful t1_j6icl5a wrote

>Purple and Black by K.J. Parker

Thanks for the rec! Unfortunately I can't find the ebook version of that - or rather, somewhat bizarrely the Amazon page for that book has the ebook being a completely different book with the same title, at least here in the UK.

Zikoris t1_j6igrbf wrote

Oh no! It's also included in the chonker Academic Exercises, which is a collection of novellas and short stories, if you can find that.

jellyrollo t1_j6b24ga wrote

Try the novellas and short stories in Fire Watch by Connie Willis and The Empress of Mars by Kage Baker, or honestly any of their short story collections, all of which are exquisite.

Realistic-Aardvark-9 t1_j69gbee wrote

I really enjoyed Stardust by Neil Gaimen. I haven't read anything else by him so I don't know if his other works have the same feel. But I loved the characters, the magic, and the adventure. So something with a similar feeling maybe?

Arthurs_librarycard9 t1_j6gipyg wrote

I have not read Stardust, but I do enjoy Neil Gaiman's work. If you are a fan of fantasy, you may also enjoy Coraline, The Graveyard Book, Neverwhere, and American Gods.

CheapHelicopter t1_j69unsn wrote

I'm looking for some tragic coming of age novels, family drama, and bittersweet/sad romance novels. Basically just want to ~feel something~, ya know? I've read and enjoyed the occasional Nicholas Sparks book, I loved "This is Where I Leave You." I just don't know who or what to turn to for some feels again.

XBreaksYFocusGroup t1_j6ae9b8 wrote

If you are in for a long haul, A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara may appeal. Otherwise, Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart sounds like a good fit.

Sploosh_Mcgoo t1_j6bunu4 wrote

A boy and his dog at the end of the world. It's a bit of a coming off she story set in a post apocalyptic world and honestly it's brutality surprised me. However I really loved the story and I'm sucker for anything with dogs lol

Aranthar t1_j6a1ugl wrote

I'm in a book club of sorts and am picking this month's book. I would like to read and share a (auto)biography of Fredrick Douglas. Any recommendations are appreciated.

The book group is a bunch of college friends who read everything from Scifi to biographies to research works.

My initial list is:

1. Frederick Douglass Prophet of Freedom By David W. Blight
  2. Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave By Frederick Douglass
  3. Life and Times of Frederick Douglass By Frederick Douglass
  4. Frederick Douglass in Ireland By Laurence Fenton
  5. Frederick Douglass By Benjamin Quarles

Input on these or other options are appreciated, thanks!

Springwater95 t1_j6a6f5b wrote

Any books about first contact with aliens? Most of the stories I find about first contact just devolve into fighting. I want to read a story where it focuses more on how our world would react and change. What different groups would form for and against the aliens. Maybe there is something about the aliens that causes a major change in normal society.

I like romance books but honestly it doesnt need to be one. If there is romance please nothing spicy.

jellyrollo t1_j6b1f4p wrote

If you think you'd enjoy a lighthearted comedy take on the subject, try John Scalzi's Agent to the Stars.

XBreaksYFocusGroup t1_j6ae3mb wrote

Yeah, you would probably appreciate the Three Body Problem trilogy by Cixin Liu.

sekiroisart t1_j6j44t5 wrote

those books are the exact opposite of what OP wants to read

TieRelevant8597 t1_j6db6ou wrote

You might like “story of your life” by ted chiang, which the movie arrival is based on. It is only a short story, around 40 pages and a quick interesting read

besssjay t1_j6e0as8 wrote

Adaptation, by Malinda Lo. Has a sequel called Inheritance. It's a really interesting approach to first contact, and it doesn't just devolve into a war. You don't see or even know about the aliens for a while though, it's more of a mystery at first where it's not clear what's going on. It's YA, with a bit of a love triangle element.

plaidtattoos t1_j6al7k8 wrote

I always hear high praise for Lonesome Dove, but I’ve never cared about westerns. Is it a book that goes beyond its genre as something that most people would love?

Interesting fact: I’m a teacher, and there were three kids who went through my school who were all named after characters from the book (the kids were all in the same family.)

jellyrollo t1_j6b0zbb wrote

I don't care for westerns either, as a rule, but Lonesome Dove is the exception. Everything Larry McMurtry wrote was surprisingly engaging and affecting, even if the subject matter didn't initially seem like my cup of tea. He has a way of luring you in with his characters. I sort of consider him the John Irving of the southwest.

plaidtattoos t1_j6b28w8 wrote

Thank you for your thoughts. A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of my favorite books, so I guess I should definitely try Lonesome Dove.

Genn12345 t1_j6av3yp wrote

Aby recommendations for novels/short stories containing perspective shifts?

I really love it when a story contains shifts in perspective.

Take for example this one short story I wrote a while ago. it started with a woman and her son being quite emotionally distant from each other before the woman reflects on a memory she had with her father. The story then shifted to being that of a man and his daughter, wherein the man tells his daughter a story about his parents. It is then revealed (though it was always heavily implied) that the man and his daughter are the woman and her father from the start of the story. At the end of the story the woman, having reflected on this memory gains new conviction to attempt to re-establish her connection with her daughter.

I know that's a pretty simple structural synopsis but it's just an example of the kind of story structure i love.

Do you have any thoughts on perspective/temporal shifts in literature or any favourite text that employs them?

spinazie25 t1_j6blzc3 wrote

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin. There's a lot more going on, but we do get to see it from two different perspectives.

zebrafish- t1_j6bn81m wrote

Your description makes me think of Night of the Living Rez by Morgan Talty!

rollerskateginny t1_j6bl1lo wrote

I just finished Of Human Bondage by Somerset Bondage, and it’s my favorite thing I’ve read in a while. I’ve also loved David Copperfield and to an extent Jane Eyre. You can probably see the common theme here; any suggestions for Bildungsroman type books, preferably older but not necessarily, maybe some with more female protagonists as well? (Although I don’t mind either way as long as it’s good). I love narratives that follow one character through their life and choices and some beautiful prose snuck in along the way.

besssjay t1_j6dzrw5 wrote

Have you read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn? It follows a girl from a poor immigrant family from her childhood to her coming of age. Set in Brooklyn in the early 20th century. I loved it growing up -- Francie is a wonderful and well-drawn character.

No_Armadillo_7921 t1_j6c1pzc wrote

Have you read The Razors Edge by Somerset Maugham? Great book. Also, The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand seems similar to what you are talking about.

wifehearst t1_j6btzte wrote

I'm looking for recommendations on books that have lesbian vampires, ideally with some horror/psychological aspect to the story. Does not have to be romance or with a happy ending. Adult is better than YA but I welcome all recs! Books I liked which may be similar are Harrow the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir and When I Arrived at the Castle by Emily Carrol.

foundthelemming t1_j6bzjmv wrote

I’m hoping to listen to Terry Pratchett’s Discworld on audiobook, but a lot of the reviews on audible for the newly recorded versions say they are pretty mediocre due to the narration not being great. I would read paper copies, but I want to listen while I run so that’s not going to work. Does anyone know where I can find good audio versions? Did anyone listen to the 2022 versions and maybe they’re not that bad?

mell0w_fell0w_ t1_j6c3pqs wrote

hoping i can get some recs before visiting my library tomorrow 🖤 i am honestly not looking for anything too specific! just some books that are hard to put down! i typically read horror, fantasy, sci-fi, etc. but am open to absolutely any genre/suggestions(:

Ernost t1_j6c7at5 wrote

Are there any books set in an alternate reality where the Roman Empire never fell? YouTube recently recommended this video to me and I thought it was a pretty fascinating idea.

Weird_Cephalopode t1_j6cn2e8 wrote

Hello people. I'm seeking for a book where the main story takes place underground. Deep caves, karsts, multilevel dungeons and other types of depths. It would be ideal if the characters are constantly going deep and deep along the unfolding of the story. Examples are: journey to the center of the earth (Verne), mountains of madness (Lovecraft), some stories from Magnus Archives (if you are familiar). Thank y'all!

Grand_Run5279 t1_j6f5dls wrote

I’m looking for a book that has a found family trope and a lot of fluff. If the book has a mc that left a bad life, I want there to be no redemption/forgiveness arc between the mc and the people of the bad life. I don’t have much of a preference for anything else. Just a lot of found family and a bit of hurt/comfort.

aditya_77 t1_j6gtwek wrote

I'm a 18yrs old boy, I haven't read a single book in past other than my academic books, can you recommend me some good reads to get started

[deleted] t1_j6hslnz wrote

[deleted]

_ttrixie_ t1_j6iavne wrote

in my opinion, i feel like these are the worst types of books that you can recommend to people who dont read at all. Coraline by Neil Gaiman is short book, but when you read it it's so hard to finish it. The worst and longest two hours of my life. I wouldnt recommend.

aditya_77 t1_j6idivh wrote

I would like to know what would you recommend.

_ttrixie_ t1_j6idn8e wrote

well, it depends on what genre

aditya_77 t1_j6idvp8 wrote

My interest of topics are psychology, philosophy and history.

_ttrixie_ t1_j6ig1kr wrote

For beginners, from philosophy genre, I would recommend The Little Book of Stoicism by Jonas Salzgeber, it uses simple language, its not very long. It's a simple guide to stoicism with some practises to try. I'd also recommend Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, its a lil harder to go through, but it's a classic and I think it's worth it. It can really change your mindset and you will think about this book daily. From history I'm not sure what you are interested in, but my recommendations is The Last Leonardo: The Secret Lives of the World's Most Expensive Paintings by Ben Lewis. This discuss both history and renessance, also the life of Leonardo and what happened to make the painting so expensive. I'm not really into those genres, but I read some books and I hope I helped :) Sorry for not touching the subject of psychology books, but I dont think I've ever read any.

aditya_77 t1_j6ii1gm wrote

Thank you very much, I will definitely check them out once I'm finished reading (man's search for meaning) and i also want to touch on The Untethered Soul, reviews on this book are great.

I just started reading my first book today and honestly I can't sit for very long, I finished the 7th page and my mind already started wandering:( for now I'll just stick to reading 10-15 pages a day until it becomes a habit and then I'll slowly increase my speed, anyways thank you once again have a great day.

_ttrixie_ t1_j6iib5z wrote

maybe try listening to music while reading? also take your book everywhere with you, it can help you with reading more :) good luck!

aditya_77 t1_j6i43bn wrote

Thanks for the recommendation bro, i will definitely check Neil Gaiman's books.

And also one more question. I was thinking about reading "The Untethered Soul" what do you think ?

drawgrass t1_j6j5wgw wrote

Can anyone recommend me a book that is about how modern europe left traditional conservative values and adopted liberal progressive values . It can be about historical accounts such as French revolution. It could be about the enlightenment period . Suggestions ?

Izzywillow19 t1_j6lvuw9 wrote

I am looking for a collection of short-stories by latinx writers. Something like, “The Best short-stories by Back Writer’s.” Something that would be read and analyzed in a creative writing classroom at the college level.

shadefourfi0 t1_j63tohz wrote

Which book should I read for my English assignment? Options are [One hundred years of solitude], [oryx and crake], or [The count of monte cristo]

metromesa t1_j6405ys wrote

'Oryx' would be my choice. The other two sound fine, but Atwood fits my preferences better as a writer.

3andalib t1_j646aa9 wrote

Oryx as it was originally written in English. Atwood is also very relevant now.

LL37MOH t1_j6466l5 wrote

The Count of Monte Cristo.

brennusbrennus t1_j673ckt wrote

One of my favourites. Although whenever I reread it, the beginning of the novel still makes me angry.

besssjay t1_j6e1fq1 wrote

I like Oryx and Crake, just re-read it myself -- but I also really enjoyed One Hundred Years of Solitude in high school. I really enjoyed the magical realism, and the fact that it's an epic family saga covering several generations. Be warned though, at least one character marries a child, which I found weird even at the time and looking back as an adult, was super gross. However I would still read the book again. It's a deep world to get lost in.

CoderIHardlyKnowHer t1_j648sv8 wrote

Looking for books to read if you loved Twilight?

TammieBrowne t1_j66l1hv wrote

The Vampire Diaries series by LJ Smith. For something a bit more adult, so some murder, humor and a bit more sexual, Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series.

CoderIHardlyKnowHer t1_j6a1z2i wrote

Thanks Tammie! I’ll give them a look. I’ve heard of Sookie Stackhouse but haven’t tried it yet. Maybe I will!

Realistic-Aardvark-9 t1_j69gsgm wrote

It's definitely not "great literature" but I enjoyed the series that the TV show True Blood was based on. The first book is called Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris. Quick, easy read. I call them "cheeseburger books".

CoderIHardlyKnowHer t1_j6a1tde wrote

That sounds promising! I mean, I’m aware that Twilight isn’t “great literature” either, so that’s totally an option 😂

womanof1004holds t1_j6ab6y6 wrote

You might enjoy the Crave series by Tracy Wolff. I actually picked up the first book because it gave me huge Twilight vibes & Im a sucker for silly Twilight knockoffs. It borrows from a lot of different YA series.

I consider it a "so bad its good series". The books are way too long though so youd have to set aside a good chunk of time for them.

Arthurs_librarycard9 t1_j6gkjfz wrote

The Morganville Series by Rachel Caine

The Beautiful by Renée Ahdieh

Sookie Stackhouse series by Charleen Harris

Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz

atcam28 t1_j64zgcu wrote

any thoughts on these titles?

bluets, maggie nelson

diaries, franz kafka (schocken edition)

letters to milena, franz kafka (vintage publishing)

crush, richard siken

fleabag the scriptures, phoebe waller-bridge

ordered them and i wanna know what others think^^

3andalib t1_j65tqlu wrote

I’d love to read Kafka’s letters to Milena. The letter to his father is a tour de force, but I expect him to be different when writing to his Milena:).

atcam28 t1_j68a8o3 wrote

im excited to read his diaries and letters the most out of these titles!! im a sucker for romantic words n letters <33

3andalib t1_j6aioxf wrote

Maybe of interest to you then: I also enjoyed reading the letters exchanged between the writer Ingeborg Bachmann and her great love, the poet Celan.

kwazyem t1_j653ffp wrote

I just recently read Normal People by Sally Rooney. I am interested in finding some books somewhat in this genre(romance I guess), a book I'll be glued to, invested with the characters, and at the edge of my seat.

Sad-Beyond8833 t1_j65jr4x wrote

Hello! I've been dealing with acne and my diet it really bad so I want to read a book about skincare and food and acne can someome please suggest me good book about that. Thank you!

XBreaksYFocusGroup t1_j65vrjc wrote

If no recommendations turn up here (or even if they do), you may want to ask in the r/SkincareAddiction sub. They have an extensive wiki and a daily help thread.

lysogenic t1_j66rvna wrote

I love memoirs but I am craving something relatable. I want to know what it’s like to have lived through someone else’s life. I’m looking for a true story (or even based on a true story) of someone’s life. BUT I want this person to be an everyday person. Meaning, not a celebrity. Not someone who escaped war and . Not a rags to riches story etc. I want to read about someone middle class or lower, and their life. Stories about what it was like growing up, and how they changed. Shit they went through that I may be able to relate with. Realizations they’ve had as they became wiser. Bonus points if the author is BIPOC and/or female and/or has a disability. Does this exist??

purplecrocs t1_j66z2tw wrote

Year of the Tiger: An Activist’s Life by Alice Wong checks your boxes of a female disabled person of color!

Edit: Sitting Pretty: The View from My Ordinary Resilient Disabled Body by Rebekah Taussig is also a highly rated book on my to read list!

Zikoris t1_j69wsnk wrote

I picked up I Want to Die but I Want to Eat Tteokboki by Baek Se-Hee while in Korea a few months ago and found it fascinating. The author is a normal Korean woman suffering from depression, so maybe that counts for your bonuses? (I don't know if Korean is considered BIPOC or depression is considered a disability)

lgdub_ t1_j67h6j0 wrote

Books about US presidents similar to A Promised Land?

I just read (listened to audiobook read by author) A Promised Land by Barak Obama. I loved the candidness of the book and the way he lets the reader in on some of the intimate details of his political career from a more personal perspective than I’m used to experiencing from a politician. It is long but very engaging and makes the complex job of being the worlds most powerful person seem like something simple and understandable. It made me feel a lot of empathy for him as just a regular guy with a big responsibility. I highly recommend it to anyone regardless of where you live or what your political views are.

Anyway… after reading this book I thought it might be a fun challenge for myself to read a book about all (or at least some) other US presidents. Does anyone have any favorites or good recommendations?

If they are similar to the autobiographical A Promised Land that I just read, that would be great but they don’t have to be. Just an interesting and engaging book that entertains while informing about the life and times of a US president. (Also open to recommendations of books similar to A Promised Land that are about other figures who weren’t US presidents).

Thanks!

dirtysnow8 t1_j67i28z wrote

try “You Never Forget Your First” by Alexis Coe

lgdub_ t1_j67i84s wrote

Looks like a good one to start the list off with! Thanks!

Evening_Educator_236 t1_j68k5r0 wrote

Hello there, this might be ULTRA specific but are there any books covering sexualized wounds? Like I‘m thinking of a memoir or a psychology book.

Reasonable-Cost9381 t1_j6c6bid wrote

In need of a Fiction book about friendship. Ideally a heartwarming book about the power of friendship.

[deleted] t1_j6d5hcb wrote

[removed]

CrazyCatLady108 t1_j6e5118 wrote

No plain text spoilers allowed. Please use the format below and reply to this comment once you've made the edit, to have your comment reinstated.

Place >! !< around the text you wish to hide. You will need to do this for each new paragraph. Like this:

&gt;!The Wolf ate Grandma!&lt;

Click to reveal spoiler.

>!The Wolf ate Grandma!<

−1

mylastnameandanumber t1_j6e895c wrote

It's not a spoiler. It's a reasonable description of the book. Block it if you wish, but calling it a spoiler is a bit silly.

lydiardbell t1_j6hrcrr wrote

Looking at your description via your profile (sorry, but I was too curious)... Yeah, that's like saying "an orphan discovers he is a wizard" spoils the plot of Harry Potter.

Loud_Perspective_312 t1_j6jbyjt wrote

Hello, I am new to this subreddit. I've always tried to get into reading but never found my fav genre. In past years I tried to read something but could evaluate my accurate preference so pls help.

So till now, I have read at least 5-7 books by Sudha Murthy. She's my fav author and I like how she engages in stories. The majority of her books contain 17-25 short stories based on her life events and in parallel to the story engage opinions of her own and her surroundings. What I like about her reading is I can relate to her emotions and understand also the books are easy to read for me.

So now u must have figured out what I mean. Pls leave recommendations accordingly I'm open to mystery, real-life kinda genre and an easy read

ConfusedIndy t1_j6meobx wrote

I'm looking for a book that is not cringe but about fate and destiny. Also, a book similar The Miniature, where it ends as a cliffhanger. Many thanks

patroclus_a t1_j6mxk6j wrote

Hello there! It has been more than 24 hours, and episode 3 of 'The Last of Us" is still lingering on my mind. The story of Frank & Bill is exceptionally beautiful. I'm here for recommendation of books that remind you of this romantic heart-touching episode, preferably queer. I don't mind any genre, I just want a book that could evoke the same feelings I had while watching the episode, if you resonate with it too :)

gingerbitch402 t1_j6okutn wrote

I would like a recommendation for a fantasy series that isn’t written by SJM honestly. I just can’t read her books. They aren’t for me, and that’s okay! I would love something with the drama, the romance, the fights, all of that. I just want to be swept up in another world for a couple of books :)

Weird_Cephalopode t1_j6oocdk wrote

Since you provided no specific elements you want to see in desirable fantasy series, I would recommend you to read any of Terry Pratchett's cycles. As for me, the Death cycle is the coolest one.

HellOrHighWalters t1_j6p0biz wrote

The Starless Crown by James Rollins was a fun read and the sequel, The Cradle of Ice comes out next week

Arthurs_librarycard9 t1_j6p86dq wrote

The first two recommendations are ya, but I think you may still enjoy them:

An Ember in the Ashes series by Sabaa Tahir

Shadow and Bone trilogy by Leigh Bardugo

The All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness

Black Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse