Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Unfair_Isopod534 t1_je0a601 wrote

I don't have the numbers and i am definitely not an expert. I do wonder if the line would reduce traffic coming from Western Mass which could help reduce traffic within Boston itself. Plus it could open western MA as housing market. I am not disagreeing with you, just seeing positives of that connection.

UltravioletClearance t1_je0euib wrote

I know people can get into pretty crazy commute situations, but I find it very hard to believe that many people are driving from Springfield to Boston for work five days a week. That's easily four hours one way.

chystatrsoup t1_je0ftx1 wrote

Had to drive Springfield to Boston all the time for my last job, one way was never even close to 4 hours. Also a lot of construction workers live way out there and drive into the city everyday.

RandyCheeseburgers01 t1_je0ki1u wrote

Four hours?? I'm not sure it's that long. But I hear your point. The idea still being tossed around; here's a recent Globe article on it. The general public seems to interpret it as a way to alleviate the housing crisis in Greater Boston. People will use any excuse they can get to avoid upzoning and building more housing in Boston and the inner suburbs and to appease the NIMBYs. I know some people are open the idea of supercommuting (I am not one of them). A Springfield-Boston commute would really only be viable if it's high speed rail, not the current iteration of the T commuter rail trundling along. I'm not holding my breath on that.

UltravioletClearance t1_je0l2kh wrote

God I hope this doesn't become a reality. Opening up Springfield to the masses of rich-yet-not-rich-enough-for-Boston people will just lead to mass displacement of Springfield's existing residents and turn Springfield into yet another overpriced bedroom community of Boston that lacks any local economy on its own. Already seeing this down in New Bedford.

−1

Unfair_Isopod534 t1_je0f952 wrote

From my experience, Pike it's extremely busy. I think all the way to 84 junction. If we were to add stop in between Springfield and Boston, maybe some congestion would go away. Like i said not an expert, and like it was mentioned before, Boston itself has enough of problems.