Submitted by ViewDisconnected t3_121q2z0 in boston

Hello,

I have to travel to Hampton, NH in a couple of weeks. I have anxiety flying and driving through tunnels, so I am planning to take a train to the South Boston train station, take a cab to Logan airport, rent a car there, and drive north on i-95 toward my destination. This will be my first time in Boston, and I am not familiar with geography a all.

My question is the following: is there any way to reach i95-North of Boston to avoid any possible tunnels from Logan?

Thank you!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

jjgould165 t1_jdmzd43 wrote

Can you go to Providence instead and rent the car there? It is right off of 95 and there are no tunnels. The airport is a mess to get in and out of if you don't know where you are going and GPS is often a few seconds behind where you need it to be so you should consider a different route

twoleggedgrazer t1_jdn0x46 wrote

Have you considered taking the train (technically commuter rail) to Newburyport from Boston and then renting a car from there? It's quite close to where you're going and would probably allow you to avoid dealing with navigating the city in a car alone at all. You would just have to cab to north station instead, and could do the reverse when you come back. I also get some driving anxiety especially in the city (though less severe), and I totally understand wanting to minimize putting yourself in a more stressful situation than necessary.

twowrist t1_jdn9tef wrote

A quick search of Google Maps for car rentals near Newburyport only turns up a Tesla rental and a “temporarily closed” enterprise.

Lowell might be a better choice.

PleasantlySplendid t1_jdmujr4 wrote

You'll have more trouble avoiding tunnels from South Station to Logan (unless you have no issue with someone else driving through tunnels with you as a passenger).

You can take route 1a or route 1 through East Boston and Revere to 95N.

ViewDisconnected OP t1_jdmyod3 wrote

Thank you! I usually don't have any problems riding the tunnels, it is more driving. I have claustrophobia and while I am driving in the tunnel I get this urge to press on a gas pedal and speed up faster and faster until I see the light at the end of the tunnel. And with everything I heard about the famous Boston's Big Dig I absolutely do not want to end up there.

VoteCamacho2508 t1_jdmzp86 wrote

You can rent a car from downtown Boston. No need to go to the airport.

onehundredpetunias t1_jdn6yzt wrote

Have you looked into Amtrak's Down Easter train? It leaves from Boston's North Station and could get you within 15-30 minutes of Hampton. Some car rentals do drop off service so that might be a workable option for you. And any of those towns served by the Down Easter would be more navigable than driving out of Boston.

CraigInDaVille t1_jdnns00 wrote

Just look up local rental car rental agencies where you live; no need to go all the way to the airport. They all have local offices, but I've found Enterprise to be the most prolific.

raabbasi t1_jdn87oo wrote

FYI from South Station to Logan, there is a long tunnel too.

From Logan Airport, take Rt 1A North to 60, then to Rt 1 North. This will link you up with 95 North close to Peabody.

riski_click t1_jdnj573 wrote

From Logan you're already north of the tunnels. Just take 1A to 1 to 95. Your GPS might try to send you 93 for speed, but ignore that or it will send you through the tunnel.

bb5199 t1_jdogt94 wrote

Is it safe to drive with that high of an anxiety level? Like if you got stuck in traffic in a random tunnel that you had to drive through would it endanger yourself or others?

AutoModerator t1_jdmtdn8 wrote

Your post appears to be one of a number of commonly asked questions about the port city of Boston. Please check the sidebar for visitor information. Also, consider using the search function to see if this question or something similar has been asked on /r/boston in the past. It is best to do some research before posting tourism questions here, as posts are more likely to succeed if they include details such as your interests, which area you are staying in, and more specific questions. Please enjoy this map that we made just for you

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

Caraless_While22 t1_jdmxc2h wrote

Do you mind being a passenger in the car when it goes through a tunnel or is it just a problem as the driver?

Depending on your starting point, you should rent a car at a non-airport location. It will be much easier to avoid tunnels if you stay away from downtown and the airport.

ViewDisconnected OP t1_jdmz6pb wrote

I don't mind being a passenger as much (it still gives me anxiety but at least not panic), but if I am arriving at South Station -- it is important for me. I still have to have a rental vehicle since I will be in New Hampshire for a week. Would you be able to suggest any alternatives to my plan by any chance?

dogmom603 t1_jdqhywa wrote

I still recommend the C&J bus from South Station. Instead of getting off in Seabrook, go up to Portsmouth. The bus terminal is right by the airport and there is an Enterprise at the airport. They will usually pick you up if you are renting from them. This also avoids driving in Boston.

meanestoldman t1_jdoeee0 wrote

You don't say where you are beginning your trip. A rental car should be available in any city or town in or surrounding Boston. There is no need at all to head into the airport.