Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

lurker_registered OP t1_jdwcka8 wrote

3 of 4 of House Speakers prior to Mariano only resigned (note: resigned, not removed) after being tried and convicted of multiple felonies - so I think some oversight wouldn't be a bad idea.

And especially so for these politicians who have been in office longer than some of us have been alive.

senatorium t1_jdwleqw wrote

The state government has a horrible record of transparency, too. Healey has essentially said she'll only release documents when she feels like it. The Legislature has decided that it's largely exempt. Most votes are closed door. The Senate recently repealed the term limit on its President, allowing her to serve indefinitely, a limit that was put in place after a fantastically corrupt Senate President.

For all of MA's progressive rep, its governmental transparency is very poor.

https://actonmass.org/the-campaign

Maxpowr9 t1_jdwt4zg wrote

I feel that's at least half the reason why the MBTA is so fucked up. Hardly any transparency there either. No surprise why they fought so hard to prevent a federal takeover and the T has only gotten worse since then.

AccomplishedGrab6415 t1_jdxq7q6 wrote

Well, Poftak was baker's pal so he had no incentive to fix the system or do well in his role - Chuckie wasn't firing him under any circumstance. He literally was just there to collect his taxpayer funded paycheck.

peteysweetusername t1_jdwybd3 wrote

I’m happy DiZoglio is taking this on. The posture that the ballot box is the only check and balance Mariano is making is bullshit. Keep an eye out for her. Her star is rising as she’s the type of politician we desperately need in this state

necessaryfarts t1_jdxtoro wrote

I’ve seen her speak a couple of times and she is so smart and passionate.

mattgm1995 t1_jdwot77 wrote

Oh come on MA. What are they afraid of!? Why is it acceptable, regardless of party, to not be audited? This is INSANE!

ctyankee89 t1_jdxgahg wrote

The harder the legislature pushes back, the more I feel like this is a good idea

kevalry t1_jdxxdhn wrote

Supermajority Democratic Party but governs like half of the politicians are Republicans and do almost nothing to advance legislations. No wonder. Corruption and Lack of Transparency all to keep the Supermajority.

Apprehensive_Zone281 t1_jdykipr wrote

DiZoglio is a bulldog for the people. Her office helped me out immensely when she was a senator. I’d back her any day. And wtf is wrong with transparency in government if there’s nothing to hide?

Thisbymaster t1_jdxkc0a wrote

All politicians need to be audited every year.

JPenniman t1_jdwx3lf wrote

Can he reject it? Can the court force the audit to happen. The state really needs help. Just look at the mbta.

lurker_registered OP t1_jdx439e wrote

The SJC will likely have the final say on this - but it just goes to show how little sway the Democrats have with each other. It'd be way easier and faster to vote him out instead, but there's no real party leadership outside the state house it seems.

Could you imagine if his Republican counterpart in Florida or Texas tried bucking desantis or abbot? Gone instantly.

quality617 t1_jdxox78 wrote

Remember that time that Bulger guy was in office, and a bill to fire the State Police that were investigating his brother was introduced, and no one could figure out who introduced it? WASN'T THAT THE BEST TIME EVER?!?

Corruption in the state house is a proud commonwealth tradition. I hope she follows through with this.

Jewboy-Deluxe t1_jdzizyx wrote

She is a state wide elected official and he was placed in his position by lackeys. Darn tootin some oversight is needed.

AccomplishedGrab6415 t1_jdxqf6n wrote

Wasn't it trump who said "you don't plead the fifth unless you're guilty"? Or some variant thereof...

Same here. You don't oppose an audit unless you've got something to hide.

sihtydaernacuoytihsy t1_je0feti wrote

Hey Bill MacGregor, currently running in the Suffolk 10th: Listen to Ron!

Being an elected legislator means that you never answer questions. $70k a year just isn't enough to communicate with constituents or explain or your votes. I'm so glad you've started your campaign by having no public events and refusing to answer queries from major local groups. You did a good job dodging queries when you were Matt O'Malley's chief of staff, and I'm glad you're already in practice. (Even your twitter is deliberately vague and without content, unlike your opponent, Rob Orthman, who "knows things" and "has positions" and "thinks about stuff other than sports.")

You'll fit right in.

mwbworld t1_je4lzas wrote

Go DiZoglio! I was in favor of it before but I'd seen them both interviewed recently on OTR (On The Record) and it only increased by support for an audit. I liked her even more after the interview and only increased by lack of respect for him.

New_Progress_1462 t1_je7k41t wrote

Some of these politicians "doth protest too much" 🤔

Rob_Ss t1_jdwy3l1 wrote

Good.

−18