Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ftmthrow t1_jdetcub wrote

Providing an earlier checkpoint for ticketing so the often short-staffed train crews don’t need to check on the trains.

VoteCamacho2508 t1_jdevily wrote

More like, got tired of being called out on not checking ticket so installed these gates so they could say it doesn't matter if they check tickets.

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/mbta-commuter-rail-fare-collection-problem-fix-question-everything-david-wade/

Silverline_Surfer t1_jdf1gqr wrote

Yeah, the real reason the gates are there is to force the conductors to be more diligent about checking tickets on inbound trains (as well as rendering it superfluous on the outbound side), since it’ll be super obvious if they don’t and they’ll have some ‘splainin to do. Riders pay for it with their sanity since it makes the whole process more obnoxious/less convenient as well as ruining the floor plan/foot traffic flow through North Station, but my 1A pass says what’s up.

Petras_Popped OP t1_jdeu2bt wrote

Possibly, but I’ve still gotten my ticket checked every time

ftmthrow t1_jdevo57 wrote

Sure, because you can still board the wrong train, and train crews aren’t going to completely stop what they’ve been (semi-)doing for decades. In addition to the valid reason you’re raising, I’m just saying it’s a measure to help fare evasion, or at least look like it.