Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

seriousnotshirley t1_iud382i wrote

Don’t just go out and buy a winter coat. You’ll need a jacket, a coat and a “fuck me why did I do this” parka. You’ll want a few varieties of boots from something you might hike in that’s water proof to giant snow boots. You’ll want leggings to wear under your jeans or pants. Even better, fleece lined jeans!

Look for some hiking base layers. Wool undershirts are great, as are wool long underwear though I prefer the leggings.

Hats, gotta have some hats. Warm, thick, wool hats.

Wool socks. Also thick!

Gloves, a regular pair and a “fuck me it’s cold” pair. You can get base layer gloves as well, they work miracles. If your gloves aren’t good enough you stop in every dunks along your way for a regular coffee to hold in your hands.

Here’s why: I’ve been in shorts and a T-shirt in February and I’ve been standing in several feet of snow while it’s below zero. We get such an incredible range of temps from day to day or week to week that you want to be prepared for what’s happening each particular day.

I can from Florida where it usually stayed nice in the winter but you’d get a few days in the 30s or 40s every 10 years or so it got into the 20s and you could wait out the cold stuff. Here you’ll get it all most years.

Last year was predicted to be a bit above average temps for the winter as is this year. It hit 4 degrees F at the airport.

Look at February 23rd and 24th here. That’s what you need to be prepared for.

Oh, one last thing, if you go off the pavement there will be mud. Not sure where exactly you’re staying, but be prepared for some mud when the ground thaws.

Welcome to hell frozen over. I’ll take it every year over Florida summers.