Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Liqmadique t1_iuc8wb2 wrote

Have you ever lived somewhere where the temperate can consistently be below freezing and there can be more than a dusting of snow?

1. Buy a warm heavy coat.
  2. Buy some boots. A lot of people will say get proper snow boots, but I like just waterproofed work boots with good tread.
  3. It's perfectly acceptable to drink Dunk's Iced Coffee when the temperature is 10 degrees and the windchill is making it feel like -10.
  4. Layers are your friend.

Edit: If you have a car and you don't know how to to drive in sleet or snow, stay off the fucking road.

SouthernOutside8528 t1_iue3os5 wrote

adding: get quality, warm socks for inside those boots, and a warm pair of gloves that have the ability to still use your phone without having to take them off. your toes and hands will thank you.

Namgodtoh t1_iucsb3k wrote

Will you have a car? Winter parking here can get interesting. I think it's state law that if you dig out your spot and someone else parks in it you can plant C-4 under their vehicle.

Jack_Jacques t1_iucwfdq wrote

Don’t jog naked in a snowstorm even though the temptation might be strong.

man2010 t1_iud31mo wrote

You warm up quickly when running in the cold, just don't stop during that naked jog

geauxdbl t1_iuczu7c wrote

If your place has oil heat, know that you’ll need to keep buying oil to keep the heat running. It can get expensive.

WitnessEntire t1_iud5wlm wrote

Get thee to Uniqlo. Buy heattech base. Baselayers, coats, gloves, socks.

Born_Ad_4826 t1_iuglb45 wrote

Came here to say this. You think we're kidding but long underwear tops/bottoms and good warm waterproof morena/gloves can be a game changer. . Uniqlo's is good and affordable

NorthHame t1_iud1on3 wrote

Get a SAD lamp, even if you deal with cold people regularly have less energy/happy feelings not getting as much sun. If you can’t get outside, get a lamp and use it, like starting now.

karantza t1_iudjtmb wrote

One of the big things is just, don't underestimate snow and ice. It can be pretty! The first snowfall is a magical experience and you can make hot chocolate and french toast and whatever and enjoy it. But if you're driving or even walking when there's frozen water around, it will not hesitate to ruin your day.

If you don't have experience driving in snow, wait until the roads are clear and dry. We clean up pretty quick after even a big snow storm, so just stay home for a day or two and wait it out. (Be prepared to do that if necessary, btw.) Even if you do know how to drive in the snow, I would still not go out before the plows have a chance to clean up unless it was an absolute emergency. You do not want to get in the way of a plow; they do not stop and they do not feel remorse.

If you're walking, even in the city, you really need some shoes with decent tread. If you try and walk around with sneakers, you will slip and fall on your ass, you will impact the pavement with more force than you thought was possible, and it will hurt for days, in the best case. Worst case you break one of your favorite bones. Give ice due respect.

Born_Ad_4826 t1_iuglwda wrote

If you can't wait it out, get a car with four wheel drive and/it snow tires. You won't need them 90% of the time, but if you say, work at a hospital and can't wait for it to blow over, get thee to the Subaru dealership

seriousnotshirley t1_iud382i wrote

Don’t just go out and buy a winter coat. You’ll need a jacket, a coat and a “fuck me why did I do this” parka. You’ll want a few varieties of boots from something you might hike in that’s water proof to giant snow boots. You’ll want leggings to wear under your jeans or pants. Even better, fleece lined jeans!

Look for some hiking base layers. Wool undershirts are great, as are wool long underwear though I prefer the leggings.

Hats, gotta have some hats. Warm, thick, wool hats.

Wool socks. Also thick!

Gloves, a regular pair and a “fuck me it’s cold” pair. You can get base layer gloves as well, they work miracles. If your gloves aren’t good enough you stop in every dunks along your way for a regular coffee to hold in your hands.

Here’s why: I’ve been in shorts and a T-shirt in February and I’ve been standing in several feet of snow while it’s below zero. We get such an incredible range of temps from day to day or week to week that you want to be prepared for what’s happening each particular day.

I can from Florida where it usually stayed nice in the winter but you’d get a few days in the 30s or 40s every 10 years or so it got into the 20s and you could wait out the cold stuff. Here you’ll get it all most years.

Last year was predicted to be a bit above average temps for the winter as is this year. It hit 4 degrees F at the airport.

Look at February 23rd and 24th here. That’s what you need to be prepared for.

Oh, one last thing, if you go off the pavement there will be mud. Not sure where exactly you’re staying, but be prepared for some mud when the ground thaws.

Welcome to hell frozen over. I’ll take it every year over Florida summers.

M_Shulman t1_iud54rt wrote

Good jacket, boots and gloves. Long handled scraper if you have a car.

Book a February trip now to someplace warm…

WickedCurious t1_iudgbax wrote

A hood or waterproof hat is a good idea. However, be careful with wool or other warm but non-waterproof clothing. The snow can fall super wet or it may just rain (for days sometimes). If you get everything soaked, it is a problem. You want to make sure your in a position to put your coat back on shortly thereafter if you need to go back outside.

Jack_Jacques t1_iuet6im wrote

Wool keeps you warm even when wet where as cotton kills certainly. Wool rules.

WickedCurious t1_iufgxut wrote

Depends on the wool. Sometimes it gets really wet and soaks through.

Jack_Jacques t1_iufz7my wrote

It soaks through but still keeps you warm. That’s why sheep wear it even in the rain.

wsdog t1_iudap4t wrote

If you have an option drive north to NH or VT during late January/February. Better to grab a local friend who knows how to drive in the winter.

Conscious-Wafer68 t1_iufmtsh wrote

Buy ski pants even if you don’t ski and some good boots.

There will be days in the winter where it’s raining and snowing at the same time with 30 mph winds. You’ll thank me later.

zahnsaw t1_iud35im wrote

A good thicket jacket, a warm hat and gloves. If you haven’t been up to the White Mountains before, find some time in Jan/Feb to visit even if you don’t ski.

Reverse_Embedded t1_iufcn1q wrote

if you drive, or want to drive outside of the city (perhaps to go skiing, or visit rest of NE), consider getting some winter tires, or at least make sure you have really, really good all-season tires.

Born_Ad_4826 t1_iuglkkk wrote

Two more things: Vitamin D for the winter can be a game changer

There are lots of drizzly cold days. Get a size-up raincoat you can fita fleece under and some comfy cute rainboots (I like Kamik)

Budget-Celebration-1 t1_iudxe0c wrote

Or just ignore the folks who actually do stay here in the winter and just come here for the summers. Not sure if that’s an option for you. It is brutal here and you can get depressed. What I do if I’m here in the winter is keep my shorts on and sandals. It makes me think about the sunny warmer days elsewhere. You’re a real man (or woman) if you can wear sandals and shovel snow.

Id_Solomon t1_iud49ae wrote

• DON'T make eye contact with anyone on the street or on the T.
  • DON'T drive in the center lane and try to make a right or left turn.
  • DON'T be indecisive at a busy coffee shop (Starbucks/Dunks).
  • DON'T walk alone at night.
  • DON'T major in a useless degree at a college/university.

Just DON'T!

• DO visit the Boston Public Library.
  • DO visit Newbury Street.
  • DO visit the Boston Common.
  • DO go to a Celtics game.
  • DO try and eat at a popular restaurant/bar.

Just DO IT!

−8

phlukeri t1_iucad8n wrote

Don’t stay in Roxbury.

−9

Anxious_Article5710 OP t1_iucauej wrote

Why?

jtet93 t1_iucbszw wrote

It’s a higher crime area but it varies a lot street to street. I live in Roxbury and my block is absolutely lovely. There are parts with a lot of gang activity and drug use though.

chevycoin t1_iud18f1 wrote

If you survived the summer, you should be fine in the winter.