Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

catknitski t1_iu44xjx wrote

You don’t want the bike lane the same level as the sidewalk bc then people will just walk in the bike lane b

Amy_Ponder t1_iu46urh wrote

I think that's mainly because bike lanes are still pretty rare, so a lot of pedestrians flat-out don't know what they are or that they're not supposed to walk there. The more people we have biking on the streets, the more pedestrians will start getting the memo and respecting the lanes.

Anustart15 t1_iu48ece wrote

But if you do it somewhere touristy like downtown Boston, there will always be a critical mass of people with no clue walking down the bike lane

Amy_Ponder t1_iu49cuf wrote

So install some signage explaining what the bike lanes are there. Meanwhile, continue paving them as normal in the rest of the city.

Anustart15 t1_iu4ap4e wrote

Because tourist (and everyone, realistically) are famously good at reading signs and following their instructions.

Amy_Ponder t1_iu4bk21 wrote

So because we'll never get 100% of people following the rules all the time, we should just give up completely? Come on, man. Don't let perfect be the enemy of the good.

I'd much rather have a lovely network of separated cycle tracks, which may have some issues with tourists being idiots in certain tourist-heavy areas, than the current life-threatening bike gutters most roads have now.

Anustart15 t1_iu4cira wrote

I'm not saying no bike lanes, I'm saying sidewalk level bike lanes are not the best option for that area