Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

NoButThanks t1_isx8k4i wrote

Reflects poorly on your neighbor. If Healey was buddies with your neighbor and knew about the n word stuff and continued to hang out, it would reflect poorly on her. Yeah, it's a one off unknown interaction for Diehl. Diehl could just address it but chooses not to. In this particular case, because of Diehl's political views and that Diehl doesn't address it or condemn it, it's almost silent support.

pillbinge t1_isz6u77 wrote

We all know it reflects poorly on my neighbor. I don't think anyone questioned that. The problem is one of lines. Does it reflect poorly on her husband, whom I haven't witnessed do that - and can't imagine, because he's very sweet? Does it reflect poorly on her kids who talk gruff like her, but whom I still haven't heard say anything like that? Does it reflect on the politician?

Now, if that politician takes a photo with my neighbor, do I call the politician a racist? I think we all know it doesn't transmit like COVID.

>If Healey was buddies

For one, friendship is a lot broader than that, and runs a lot deeper. I don't stop being friends with someone just because of a handful of, granted, major flaws. If anything, they're my responsibility.

Two, I'm not talking buddies though, am I? I'm talking photos with random supporters who come up to you and ask for one.

>it's almost silent support.

Why is it on Diehl to address it? Because it would please you? That's a great point to make if you run PR and it's your job to obsess about these things, but we're talking about normal, rational people. Not people who use conspiracy-adjacent lines of thinking.