Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BOMinvest t1_j28t8j6 wrote

I just subtract this fee from my normal 20%, and then apply a 5% customer inconvenience fee. If they don't stop this practice, I hear that customer inconvenience fee might be raised to 8%.

TwoforFlinching613 t1_j2959q4 wrote

That only hurts the server, who has nothing to do with that policy/fee. It does not make any kind of "point" to the owner who is actually responsible.

BOMinvest t1_j29620u wrote

If they are not paying their kitchen enough to the point where they force me to cover for them? I pay 20% for a service tip. Service includes bus people, servers, and kitchen staff. If they want to specify 3% if that for the kitchen, that is fine. But if you expect me to pay it in addition, I draw the line.

Budget-Celebration-1 t1_j2a80fs wrote

I think that’s how I’ll go about it in the future. Do you tip on the price of the meal or on top of the tax?

BOMinvest t1_j2a98a7 wrote

I'll take the price of the food and tax, multiply it by 0.2, and then subtract whatever addition restaurant fee they charge. If they charged an additional 20% kitchen fee, I would leave nothing. If only 3%, I'd leave a 17% tip (or 15% if I am feeling taken advantage of)

Budget-Celebration-1 t1_j2aa88c wrote

So you tip on top of tax? I didn’t know that was a formal thing in general. If you look at the suggested tip options it used to be most were before tax now that’s changing — more and more the suggestion includes the tax. In addition to tipping on top of the BOH fees frequently you tip on top of the tax. Whenever I see that suggestion I subtract another 5%

BOMinvest t1_j2aajuh wrote

I think not including tax is standard, but as I accumulated more wealth I started to include tax as well.

BOMinvest t1_j2aayta wrote

This is a straw man argument. Companies typically put their most vulnerable as the face of the company, so any impact to the company is felt first on the face of those companies.