Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

emsilverstein t1_j20rmab wrote

Public sector unions on the whole are a bad idea. I entirely understand the desire to come together to collectively bargain for better pay/benefits/etc, but whether it be police unions, teachers unions, or anyone negotiating against the state, it’s a detriment to the public. The amount of corruption in public sector unions is obscene, and the opposing party (the state) isn’t as steadfast or rational in negotiations because it’s not “their” money, but rather the public’s money. Disband public sector unions as a whole

CerberusAteMyDog t1_j2208l2 wrote

Teachers are criminally underpaid and need a means to negotiate better salaries and benefits. Police Unions are just gangs that exist to strong-arm the legal system into never holding the police accountable.

too-cute-by-half t1_j23pjvn wrote

Boston teachers averaged $105k three years ago, probably closer to $110k by now. Most of my kids' teachers have made over $120k. They work hard, but the pay is better than most private schools and the benefits are generous.

CerberusAteMyDog t1_j241kla wrote

We’re talking about unions in a general sense. Teacher Unions are important for legitimate reasons and Police Unions aren’t was my point. Also, as someone who works in Boston Public Schools, you have to understand that the schools themselves are also criminally underfunded so while teacher pay is a lot better here than a lot of other places, BPD teachers often have a LOT more to deal with than say teachers in a suburban setting. Also, the cost of living here is insane. $105k to deal with what these teachers deal with year round in the city of Boston isn’t as much as you think it is.

emsilverstein t1_j22ufgd wrote

I’ll respectfully disagree. Not to discount issues with police unions protecting their own tho. Significant issues of the union closing ranks around officers which need to be reprimanded and sometimes removed from the force. But for teachers unions, specifically good teachers are criminally underpaid because teachers unions emphasize seniority over competency and the inability to fire/remove older teachers mailing it in. The negotiations of teachers unions emphasize years on the job over competency, causing great teachers to become unenthusiastic about their roles due to the inherently unfair pay structure. Obviously good teachers should be paid more, which is why private schools and charters schools perform better. It’s the unions negotiations which are the cause of poor performance and are in need of a change

Skertstreak t1_j20sxk9 wrote

Teachers need a union. As do many other government workers. The difference with cops is that at their core they function as a criminal organization. They are the biggest mob in the country

Effective_Golf_3311 t1_j2173kk wrote

No, that’s the government.

Edit: which is how it’s fucking supposed to be

−3

Osprey11795 t1_j20z21q wrote

Especially the police, who already have qualified immunity and an enormous capacity to mess your life up. Zero unions for government employees.

Cormyll666 t1_j21efkn wrote

I’m vigorously pro-union except for police unions, which are the worst.

theliontamer37 t1_j21ildq wrote

So if you’re a public employee you’re not allowed to be in a union? Lmfao I’m sure that’ll help with the massive staff shortages the states going through right now.

amwestover t1_j23wqhx wrote

All true. But Democrats reap what they sow. It’s pretty funny hearing all the stupid replies complaining about the police union.

giritrobbins t1_j269435 wrote

As someone represented by a union and a worker in a public sector I disagree (though obviously I have a conflict of interest). I already have a number of my rights curtailed because of my employment status, I should have some control or say over my working conditions collectively.