Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Chappy_Sinclair_ t1_j60kulp wrote

You'd probably be hard pressed to find too many people that were members a few years back that would still vouch for them. Lots of understandable saltiness remains I'm sure.

theurbanmapper t1_j60kwdj wrote

Not sure about now, but during the pandemic they were fuckwits - as I remember it you needed to cancel in person, in like April 2020, when no gyms were open. AG (now gov) Healey got involved. My credit card had my back and stopped paying them, but I’m not sure that worked for everyone. So fuck them for all time. To be honest, this is one more thing that makes me not work out, knowing that signing up is just going to be hell down the road.

marshmallowhug t1_j60ml3v wrote

It was a nightmare. I joined an online gym instead, which has not exactly been working out great but it's at least cheaper.

flyingmountain t1_j61y3ot wrote

> online gym

What is that?

Vaderiv t1_j620zb2 wrote

Where you make your avatar exercise is what comes to mind when I saw this. Lol

marshmallowhug t1_j623c7x wrote

They have classes online, so an instructor will demonstrate exercises via video. It's mostly only an option for yoga, bodyweight workouts, etc.

Pico_the_Gallo t1_j60oy3o wrote

I just canceled my membership this month. All I had to do was call the BSC my membership was based out of. It was easy, told them I needed it canceled and gave them my phone number. Received an email from them shortly and it was a confirmation it was canceled.

theurbanmapper t1_j60q5na wrote

Check your bank account. They have continued charging in the past. Maybe the stuff with AG Healey made them change, but I'd be sure.

Accomplished-Sell495 t1_j6243zh wrote

I had to eventually get my credit card company involved back when I last lived here and moved across the country so this is reassuring to hear

TurdFerguson4000 t1_j626b1n wrote

I was also able to cancel over the phone successfully this past March

Wheelio t1_j60vtj6 wrote

I canceled recently at Allston BSC and they canceled it no fuss and on time, and no later charges or anything. Was also worried about their reputation but everything was pretty fine and easy.

I give the gym itself a 7/10, not the greatest but it has a cool old-school iron feel I really liked.

LadyGreyIcedTea t1_j61fh2z wrote

You have to go there in person to cancel. There aren't really any BSCs convenient to Roslindale though. A great deal of them closed in the past few years. I used to go to have the Passport memberships and would go to the Newton, Watertown, West Newton and Allston clubs years ago. All of those except the Allston one have closed and parking sucks at that one.

biznisss t1_j60p452 wrote

Moved to Boston a couple years ago during the pandemic and was worried about the news circulating at the time about their shady practices, but decided to move forward with it anyway. I'm a happy customer 2 years in and have heard anecdotes that they've been better about letting go of contracts, so hopefully they've been chastened by the prosecutorial hammer.

I'd just be careful about signing an annual commitment as those typically are very hard to break before full term.

man2010 t1_j611pa4 wrote

I used to be a member until the pandemic so it might be outdated, but I never had issues canceling in person. When they were shut down during the pandemic they charged everyone for April of 2020 when they had been closed since March which was obviously horrible, and they made it impossible to cancel memberships until they reopened a few months later. In general they were like most gyms with all sorts of fees and regular price increases, but they also were the most widespread gym in the city (it was the only gym with locations near work and home for me at multiple offices and apartments).

ReverseBanzai t1_j60x4bh wrote

Joined last June at BSC and have had no issues , clean and not over crowded. They mentioned about a membership hold incase you don’t wanna cancel but want to keep your membership for very short money.

Wilforks t1_j61liez wrote

I was a member from 2016-2019, they canceled my membership with no issue when I asked. After the first year i wasn’t in a contract and was paying month to month anyway. I think a lot of the issues came from when they were forced to close during Covid for a very long time. The gyms themselves are typically clean and well equipped, and not crazy expensive for what they offer.

Old-Cockroach1921 t1_j694tyh wrote

I went and cancelled in person and had no problem. There’s no 30 day notice required or anything, just make sure you go cancel before your billing date