Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

rayvin4000 t1_j66bev0 wrote

I don't know anything about postpartum depression but I know my mom had it and did not kill me. So I honestly don't know. Other people say it's unbelievable what it can do to you.

Edit: I'm legit wondering why I am so heavily down voted. I am legitimately asking a question I know nothing about.

−49

Feisty-Donkey t1_j66cof4 wrote

Postpartum depression and postpartum psychosis are different illnesses. This is a tragedy on the level of the Andrea Yates story which is very similar, right down to medical personnel making it very clear that the mother was too mentally unstable to be left alone with the children.

[deleted] t1_j66cgp4 wrote

It is a form of psychosis which is what schizophrenia is. It is a break from reality with auditory or visual hallucinations. Psychosis is psychosis. Post partum psychosis refers to psychosis occurring after giving birth.

rayvin4000 t1_j66cnlc wrote

I see. So ppd is way different than psychosis.

[deleted] t1_j66dnvu wrote

No. It is the same psychosis ETA: PPD is psychosis that develops after birth. But psychosis is psychosis. It isn’t a different kind of psychosis. It is usually temporary and will resolve unlike schizophrenia in which suffers have psychosis and hallucinations but that illness is lifelong

−4

Feisty-Donkey t1_j66e39e wrote

Her comment was correct. PPD= Postpartum Depression.

[deleted] t1_j66ek0b wrote

Ahh, I re-read and I see what you mean. Agreed that PPD doesn’t always progress to post partum psychosis