Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

snorkeling_moose t1_j620wce wrote

I was thinking the same thing. This reeks to high heaven of some sort of idiotic conservative thought process. I'm willing to bet OP would turn down a unit with an induction stove like a moron.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j624tlk wrote

Real world advantages of a gas stove: you can cook without electricity…..and that’s it.

thewhaler t1_j63u4yw wrote

Great for power outages, but do you get that many in the city proper?

sihtydaernacuoytihsy t1_j63uvmi wrote

No. We get almost none. Power seems to go out on the south shore & the cape every time a kindergartener sneezes. Outages in Boston are minimal and tend get fixed fast. (Electricians up here do get bat signals that they need to rush down to the cape... again... to do line work.)

thewhaler t1_j63vhb9 wrote

Yeah that's what I thought. I never remember losing power in Brighton or Cambridge. Very rare in quincy too. Annually in Weymouth 😆

Simon_Jester88 t1_j643dmz wrote

They heat up faster and they don't retain heat when you turn them off. Don't think those are big enough reasons to dictate where I want to live though.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j644drr wrote

I'm not sure that the extra time to get initial heat matters overall. The time difference thing matters for quick cooking stuff, but if you're doing something like boiling a pot of water, cooking chicken in a frying pan, or something like that? The more efficient option is electric by a wide margin.

Simon_Jester88 t1_j645mwq wrote

More efficient yes, but gas are still better for cooking in terms of even cooking and timing. Feel like you shouldn't be arguing that they're the same, you should be arguing that the benefits don't outweigh the negatives.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j646frx wrote

I'm not saying they're the same. Gas stoves are inferior. By a wide margin before you factor in..

50 year old appliance technology that's been slowly replaced for decades being a culture war flashpoint is among the dumbest things I've seen in my life and we've been living in exceptionally dumb times.

Simon_Jester88 t1_j647dp1 wrote

They are not inferior for cooking, that's the whole point. Why would every new restaurant be using gas stoves if they're inferior?

navymmw t1_j63itlc wrote

Induction stoves are rare for rentals, also the normal typical electric stove found is trash If you like to cook a lot