Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MJAMI7 t1_j6ok9bh wrote

I go in 2 days a week, so neither option is cost effective for me. I didn’t realize they were in the same zone. There’s only a mile between Lynn and Swampscott, and they were different zones. You’d think they’d both be Zone 2, and Salem as zone 3.

When I took the Providence line, every station was a different zone. No matter the distance between them

man2010 t1_j6om0ql wrote

Unless you have parking included, work somewhere outside of downtown Boston, or carpool, it's almost certainly cheaper to take the commuter rail compared to driving. Regardless, even if it isn't cost effective for you personally, it is for many people who commute into the city a couple days a week but not often enough to need a monthly pass. As for the commuter rail zones, the Newburyport/Rockport line isn't the only one with multiple stops within the same zone.

MJAMI7 t1_j6oq18c wrote

Definitely cheaper and easier than driving in from Swampscott. The cost is worth the less stress from driving. It will be interesting to see if the commuter rail makes and fare and scheduling changes when the Sumner Tunnel shuts down this summer.