Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Nawara_Ven t1_je4adm1 wrote

There's some pretty rosy glasses being worn in this thread; realistically most people of this era find it difficult to enjoy anything prior to the codified modern design tenets that were only really firmly established by 2009.

Assassin's Creed, for example, depended more or less entirely on novelty factor. It's practically unplayable if you've experienced anything more modern than the second game in the series. Likewise with Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. I don't see how you could convince me that people area really hyped for that one but not the fourth one in 2017.

The first The Witcher game is not great, by most accounts. Mass Effect needed major re-working gameplay-wise for its modern re-do. Annual football game is nothing to write home about.

Really only a handful of 2007 games stand the test of time, and even the aesthetically stand-out examples like Bioshock or The Darkness or God of War II are relatively primitive in terms their overall design and gameplay.

...and all of this is to say nothing of the sheer number of good games released in 2017. I'm guessing that one can be drawn to the "iconic" games of '07 because we all played them... because there were few other games worth playing. Maybe it's harder to appreciate modern games because we're spoiled for choice; it's harder to just point to "the best three games" and play those because there's such a wide array to choose from.