Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ToastedPerson t1_je2jl2t wrote

2007 it’s not a fair competition…

i see GoW, Assassins Creed, Uncharted, Skate, Mass effect, Halo 3, Portal and the Witcher…

kyotheman1 t1_je50f67 wrote

No microtransactions what miss the most, 2007 still simple time

AnalStewDelight t1_je37k79 wrote

Imagine having a best of 2017 and putting Call of Duty instead of NieR: Automata on that list.

Nawara_Ven t1_je49i7j wrote

Uncharted 4 is a pretty notable omission, too, especially when making a direct comparison like this.

For what it's worth, Mario Kart 8 is a dubious addition; it was three years old in 2017, it's just that no one had a Wii U....

kyotheman1 t1_je50i6y wrote

Nier is underrated gem that's why, not many played it

MelodicVirus108 t1_je32juc wrote

2007 was the year games started to go commercial beyond the film industry. Many audiences started to take games seriously as a true form of entertainment

2017 - now is the era of microtransactions, expensive DLC and pay to win / free to play garbage imo. Sure there are some great games that release every now and then, but you have to search quite deep to find them

Only-Ad4322 t1_je3n8j5 wrote

2017 has good games, 2007 just has more good games.

Nawara_Ven t1_je4adm1 wrote

There's some pretty rosy glasses being worn in this thread; realistically most people of this era find it difficult to enjoy anything prior to the codified modern design tenets that were only really firmly established by 2009.

Assassin's Creed, for example, depended more or less entirely on novelty factor. It's practically unplayable if you've experienced anything more modern than the second game in the series. Likewise with Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. I don't see how you could convince me that people area really hyped for that one but not the fourth one in 2017.

The first The Witcher game is not great, by most accounts. Mass Effect needed major re-working gameplay-wise for its modern re-do. Annual football game is nothing to write home about.

Really only a handful of 2007 games stand the test of time, and even the aesthetically stand-out examples like Bioshock or The Darkness or God of War II are relatively primitive in terms their overall design and gameplay.

...and all of this is to say nothing of the sheer number of good games released in 2017. I'm guessing that one can be drawn to the "iconic" games of '07 because we all played them... because there were few other games worth playing. Maybe it's harder to appreciate modern games because we're spoiled for choice; it's harder to just point to "the best three games" and play those because there's such a wide array to choose from.

YellowBinDude t1_je5zjvb wrote

2017 was amazing, yet so was 2007. I adore Skate but yet I think Breath Of The Wild barely takes my favourite game of all time.

slimshady713 t1_je68j52 wrote

07 fs, I still mainly play games from this era

jcstrat t1_je6i7jf wrote

Mario kart 8 is the only game up there I have played

dan_rich_99 t1_je76tvr wrote

No Super Mario Galaxy in 2007? But yeah overall 2007 was better. The Orange Box, Halo 3, and a bunch of other fantastic games came out then.

SilentResident1037 t1_je36d3q wrote

Gotta be honest.... neither of these really seem appealing to me. And I've played games from both lists

Bedu009 t1_je407sr wrote

WHERE THE FUCK IS TEAM FORTRESS 2 YOU TURD

NoSprinklesplz t1_je4269t wrote

Just because of fortnite 2007. Jk I actually prefer 2007 to 2017 cuz sure there are good games from 2017 but all the games from 2007 are masterpiece's

ArcticStarfall t1_je4i59s wrote

They put xenoblade 2 instead of NieR wtf

Responsible_Treat750 t1_je5cg18 wrote

Without a doubt the 2007 games were the best games in my opinion, I still have some of those games on my pc

Mr_NoTalk t1_je5q9pu wrote

Should have put zombies, Chronicles on there instead of ww2

MattioUK85 t1_jebh215 wrote

CoD4, Mass Effect, Portal. Done.

LuxuryRed t1_je39vsv wrote

2007 because that’s when the skate series started so he’ll yeah