Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

daisybunny t1_iye8ddo wrote

The Crypt of the Capuchin is a wild place lol. All of the bones are from friars who lived there in the years leading up to its creation. They were buried in the sacred dirt and then they would run out of space, so they would remove bones so other friars could be buried in the sacred dirt post death. Thus lots of extra bones! There are varying stories about the friar who made the crypts, and his creative genius. It’s actually pretty impressive - he was talented that’s for sure. There are a number of rooms, such as “the room of the pelvis”.

The stewards of the Crypt insist it is not supposed to be macabre, but a representation of our mortality!

TurtleNutSupreme t1_iyedke9 wrote

Fun fact: the signature brown and white garb of the Capuchins is where we got the name for cappuccinos (and Capuchin monkeys).

maddyjk7 t1_iyenlda wrote

I have to wonder why they didn’t dig deeper? And bury the others on top? But I also see it’s home to 3700 remains. So I guess that really does explain

EphemeralSun t1_iyf7hbl wrote

The soil stops becoming sacred the farther you dig down as the sinfulness of hell radiates upwards, obviously.

TaiCat t1_iyfc1hc wrote

But if they dug deeper, we wouldn’t have all these spooky scary skeletons!