Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

yellow_edge t1_j6svemf wrote

I'm always amazed at how close you can get to the Great Lakes and have water flow away from them.

Popuppete t1_j6u50gs wrote

Yeh, it seems way too small. When you see how fast the Niagara River flows and also the St Laurence. I just don’t get how there is enough rain to supply the outflow.

atx_californian t1_j6uni81 wrote

There is a gigantic bedrock bowl beneath the great lakes that traps anything that falls on it. There isn't really anywhere for the water to go other than towards Niagara falls. Other basins probably have more groundwater absorption by comparison

lurker_101 t1_j6wm9td wrote

What we are looking at is the veins and arteries of the world .. and the sky is the heart pulsing with the Sun

.. eventually the Earth will have a heart attack

tirikai t1_j6ssyjg wrote

Technically NZ is on this map, but it was kind of left off this map

JulianLoop t1_j6t4wrl wrote

Great map :) but personally i would like it more, if Oceans and big lakes would be in a light color, so you don’t mix them up with areas where no rivers are

Old_AP_Pro t1_j6t8sy7 wrote

According to this map all the rivers in England have the same basin. I don't think so.

Tracorre t1_j6ug6kk wrote

A lot of coastal areas are like this, where because they are near the coast there isn't the opportunity for rivers to really group into a singular basin, it is just an area where many many different rivers go into the sea and each individual river basin would be very small. Some sort of grouping is happening in areas like that.

Old_AP_Pro t1_j6umw5y wrote

There are 10 river basin districts in England.

Anglian, Dee, Humber, North West, Northumbria , Severn, Solway Tweed, South East, South West, Thames

Therefore, England should have ten colors, not one as shown on this map.

Tracorre t1_j6uq263 wrote

Well yes, but if it did that it would be creating very small river basins all along various coastal areas. All of the US coasts have this same issue, and much of the African coasts and SouthEast Asia, etc. There is a grouping compromise being done somewhere to prevent having so many small basins. A map of this type of just one country could split them up, but whole world would be just too busy.

Old_AP_Pro t1_j6w3jyq wrote

Italy is split ip to east and west coast. Roughly the same size as England, and smaller than England, Scotland, Wales combined.

Greenland, Sweden, Norway also wrong.

Old_AP_Pro t1_j6uqpdh wrote

There is no way All of the rivers in England belong to the same hydrological basins. The Thames, east coast is very distinct to the Severn, west coast.

−2

TruestRepairman27 t1_j6thul9 wrote

Pretty sure not every river in Alaska is the same drainage basin

thearchiguy t1_j6tl2k9 wrote

The ones for the continents look great and maybe accurate but the ones for island nations look off and should've been of different colors. The one I'm knowledgeable of - for the Philippines, I can tell you that just the northern main island (Luzon), there should be different systems and not all of them are of the same drainage area. The map makes it look like all the rivers in an island are all connected to one another.

Boatster_McBoat t1_j6v3hqx wrote

Australia is weird af as well. Eastern seaboard is treated as one basin which is bizarre

symmy546 OP t1_j6squ58 wrote

Feel free to follow the PythonMaps project on twitter - https://twitter.com/PythonMaps

The map was generated with matplotlib, numpy and geopandas.

Data comes from https://www.hydrosheds.org/ and K. Andreadis, G. Schumann, and T. Pavelsky, A simple global river bankfull width and depth database, Water Resour.Res., in review.

FudDeWhack t1_j6u0h3k wrote

Super interesting and beautiful indeed! Thanks for sharing! Is there maybe a version with the rivers' names on it?

vozv t1_j6tsn8s wrote

There is something wrong I think with certain rivers, it feels like they are colored based on which country they’re in and not where they flow to? Super beautiful map though, starred at it for a really long time.

Boatster_McBoat t1_j6v3dau wrote

Interesting definition of basin that incorporates almost the entire eastern seaboard of Australia but only extends inland at most a few hundred kilometres.

Must be 30 major rivers that independently reach the ocean across this expanse let alone hundreds of smaller ones

tangcameo t1_j6vbfew wrote

There’s a creek in Saskatchewan that if you follow it downstream you end up in the Gulf of Mexico. Although you’ll need an extremely tiny boat at the start.

FlurpZurp t1_j6vuqe8 wrote

“Rivers of the World, Unite!”

• The Ocean, probably

DBL_NDRSCR t1_j6uawo4 wrote

ugh please divide it more and make a bigger image, looks good tho

druffischnuffi t1_j6w60ce wrote

I live close to the divide between Rhine and Danube (green and red). It is amazing how the Rhine flows in a semicircle around the Danube basin.

It gets really weird since a part of the Danube water sinks into the ground, crosses the divide through cracks in the earth and later enters the Rhine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danube_Sinkhole

mcnuggetfarmer t1_j6w86j3 wrote

How does the inland one in South Africa, between the blue and green, not run into a coastline? Where is it going

GeorgeofJungleton t1_j6wq44e wrote

It's actually pretty cool, there's a vast inland delta where the average annual evaporation is ~equal to the average annual inflow. The water pools in a vast area of brackish swamp and lagoons which swell in the wet season and reduce in the dry.

ColinTheMonster t1_j6xp9my wrote

I wonder how these align with cultural groups. Places like the UK, Canada, and Scandinavia seem to have drainage basins that align with different cultural regions of the countries (probably because their borders align with mountain ranges).

Grason20 t1_j6zfa5e wrote

Nile is so clear to see here.