Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

JPAnalyst t1_ja8wng7 wrote

The Veil of Darkness study also shows that just by being black, someone is more likely to be pulled over by police. This suggests to me that a persons race alone, is a factor which influence how much contact one has with the law.

> The Stanford team decided to repeat the analysis using the much larger dataset that they had gathered. First, they narrowed the range of variables they had to analyze by choosing a specific time of day -- around 7 p.m. -- when the probable causes for a stop were more or less constant. Next, they took advantage of the fact that, in the months before and after daylight saving time each year, the sky gets a little darker or lighter, day by day. Because they had such a massive database, the researchers were able to find 113,000 traffic stops, from all of the locations in their database, that occurred on those days, before or after clocks sprang forward or fell back, when the sky was growing darker or lighter at around 7 p.m. local time.

>This dataset provided a statistically valid sample with two important variables -- the race of the driver being stopped, and the darkness of the sky at around 7 p.m. The analysis left no doubt that the darker it got, the less likely it became that a black driver would be stopped. The reverse was true when the sky was lighter.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/05/200507094621.htm

−1

LSeww t1_ja9lfws wrote

There are different kinds of crimes, some of them can't be over-policed, like a murder.

Sweaty-Willingness27 t1_jaakkje wrote

Any situation can be over-policed.

If you detained every single person in America and strip-searched them based on a single murder, I think most people would say that's over-policing.

The problem is that many people are defensive based on the data provided, and assume the OP's intent is to show that Black and Native Americans are profiled. I think it's a safe assumption, but speaking in generalities in the other direction isn't going to be of any benefit.

The study that's linked here is very different, in my mind. It shows a different problem (and one that I think is clearer) where there is a disparity with little prescient knowledge beyond race. The fatal shootings probably have a lot of variables (and differences in lead-up and situation that caused the shooting) that makes them less useful to compare all together as they are here.

−2

LSeww t1_jac0lbv wrote

> If you detained every single person in America and strip-searched them based on a single murder, I think most people would say that's over-policing.

That won’t increase the number of observed murders.

AxeAndRod t1_ja9m7ev wrote

This assumes that the chances of speeding for any race is equally likely. If white people speed less then they will likely get pulled over less. Same for any races and vice versa. It doesn't imply racism.

JPAnalyst t1_ja9notq wrote

Yeah, you didn’t read the study. Not like you’re going to.

Nor did you even at the very least read/comprehend the part that I posted in my comment. That would have been more than enough to stop your from typing what you did.

−5

the_ill_buck_fifty t1_jabuvx0 wrote

Who knew a subreddit devoted to data would be filled with people who immediately throw up ridiculous canards when confronted with "America is shitty to non-whites."

HaroldGodwin t1_ja9cj49 wrote

It's obvious what's going on; Racism.

Just imagine if it was rich people being shot at 4.5 times the rest of the population! The police would have been disbanded years ago.

−11

brendonap t1_ja9hizi wrote

Just imagine if non violet people were shot at 4.5 times the violent people, the police would be disbanded years ago