Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

aspacelot t1_j9sj1zx wrote

Crime and murders as a whole spiked from 2020 on in the United States. I don’t have a dog in this fight or know anything about the two but showing info like this is tantamount to saying “number pandemics between the two.” Kind of a correlation is not causation issue, isn’t it? (Genuine question, I’m not being snotty).

thehallmarkcard t1_j9toid9 wrote

I agree, definitely need to control for the overall nationwide crime spike. On top of that this chart seems to show some increasing trend as it is though it’s hard to tell with the time axis being relatively short compared to the size of the increase in murders.

kompootor t1_j9wo9y2 wrote

Exactly. With Lightfoot's datapoints being essentially entirely measured during the Pandemic (and the known, but still poorly understood, insanity of fluctuation in certain oddly specific crime rates nationwide during the Pandemic), and that roughness of granularity, I recommend rejecting this chart as useless.

(This goes beyond the notion of evaluating one term of a mayor on 3 datapoints of a single crime metric compared to many more terms and many more datapoints of a previous mayor -- one basic problem of granularity is that each datapoint has a certain sampling bias depending on the cutoff -- you can see this yourself by recalculating the murder rate from daily statistics, but use a different year-to-year cutoff date -- that's one type of this bias. It's not a problem with more datapoints depending on the metric, but here you have only 3 for Lightfoot.)

Gabagool1987 t1_j9sx8xe wrote

Why did crime spike in 2020? Because of politicians like Lightfoot.

−18

thehallmarkcard t1_j9to1o4 wrote

That’s an overly simplistic perspective. Crime spiked in most jurisdictions regardless of whether the government changed hands. I don’t know definitively if there is statistical evidence politics had some effect but distilling the crime spike to a single factor like this simply inaccurate.

kywiking t1_j9ttzk8 wrote

They want the data to fit their narrative.

NAU80 t1_j9wzayf wrote

They should compare murders to the amount of money spent on the police department. Every election we here that crime is up and we need to spend more money to put more cops on the street.

We seem to do the same things over and over in the criminal justice area. We then say if we just spend more money we will solve the crime issue. Perhaps we need to rethink what we are doing and try something else?