Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

smauryholmes t1_j8j3xjs wrote

Field conditions largely responsible + Mahomes best all-time sack avoidance

Purple_Matress27 t1_j8kw2i2 wrote

Watching the All-22 film you see DEs turning the corner and then just skating on ice. Real shame the field was so bad

GrandArchitect t1_j8j7tl9 wrote

and a million new rules about hitting QBs

−4

JPAnalyst OP t1_j8jgt1c wrote

Rules won’t have anything to do with this, as those rules have been in place all season when the Eagles were getting 4+ sacks per game.

GrandArchitect t1_j8jw9l3 wrote

Eh, Mahomes was playing injured. Refs would have called almost any hit on him, it wasn't worth it to try.

These rules create the hesitation to even try, in case something goes wrong.

−4

AndyHN t1_j8kq37x wrote

They coasted to a win in the NFC championship game partly because they knocked 2 QBs out of the game, then 2 weeks later decided they couldn't risk being penalized for hitting the QB? I'm unconvinced.

JPAnalyst OP t1_j8kxd3n wrote

They’re in the Super Bowl and “it was worth it to try” and hit the quarterback. LOL. Reddit makes people crazy.

JPAnalyst OP t1_j8k5q4y wrote

These aren’t new rules. You honestly think that players didn’t want to tackle the quarterback because of rules that were implemented years ago? How has anyone ever tackled a hobbled quarterback in a big game in the last 10 years if that was the case?

Mahomes is historically good as sack avoidance based on sack rates, and field conditions were tough for edge rushers who excel at getting up field quickly and using their bend to get around tackles (I.e. the way the Eagles get after the QB).

I’m curious do you follow the NFL?

GrandArchitect t1_j8k7cmp wrote

Field conditions were probably the biggest component, yeah.

Yup, I follow it. Thats why we are having this conversation <3

JPAnalyst OP t1_j8k8rqu wrote

In your years of watching, have you ever seen a team not trying to sack a quarterback because he is hobbled by an injury?

The Bengals knew he was injured in the AFC championship and they hit him 5 times and he was sacked three times. If the Eagles did what you said, it would be malpractice and the coaches would need to be fired and the players cut. They didn’t get shut out of sacks because of rules changes that happened years ago and they were afraid to hit the QB...in the Super Bowl, no less.

Mahomes (and the Chiefs) are third best in the league at avoiding sacks per his sack rate. He moves well in the pocket, he gets rid of the ball quick. This is a factor.

GrandArchitect t1_j8kbca5 wrote

To me, it really didn't look like they were trying, after watching the entire season, it looks like the defense was told "don't hit Mahomes"

−2

JPAnalyst OP t1_j8kc4ht wrote

Then Sirianni should be fired. Shame on the Eagles. They deserve to lose. If that’s the case.

The guy that tackled Mahomes by his injured ankle in the 2nd quarter, didn’t get the memo?

GrandArchitect t1_j8kk24k wrote

I thought he was gonna get called. Mahomes really tried to sell it.

This is what I am talking about...

JPAnalyst OP t1_j8kk8vj wrote

You’re extremely biased and looking for something. And the fact that he didnt get called literally proves your conspiracy theory wrong.

You should go into the NFL sub with these comments, they’d kill you. I’m being nice.

Are you an Eagles fan?

JPAnalyst OP t1_j8jgtd4 wrote

Rules won’t have anything to do with this, as those rules have been in place all season when the Eagles were getting 4+ sacks per game.

7DKA t1_j8iuo0w wrote

This is a nice presentation of the data. Something that would be interesting to look at would be opposing line/offense ranking and avg time to throw where available.

JPAnalyst OP t1_j8iqy6e wrote

Chart: Excel

Source: Stathead

Description:

Teams with no sacks in a Super Bowl game, listed by their avg sacks per game:

114 teams have played in the Super Bowl, only 14 of them failed to register a sack. This year, the Chiefs stopped the Eagles from doing what they do very often, sack the quarterback. It’s well-known that the Eagles have four pass rushers with 10+ sacks, and they have the third most sacks in NFL history (70). Note: On a per-game basis, the Eagles 4.12 sacks per game is the 20th most ever (1957 Bears with 5.0 per game have the most per game). The 2022 Eagles have the most sacks per game for any team to go without a sack in the Super Bowl.

The chart shows those 14 teams that went without a sack in the Superbowl, sorted by sacks per game in the regular season. The bar represents their average sacks per game in their Super Bowl season. To the right of the bar, I’m listing their sack leader in the Super Bowl year, beneath the team name next to the Y-Axis, you can see their Super Bowl opponent.

Other nuggets:

10 of the 14 teams lost, but the 2009 Saints, 1974 Steelers, 1968 Jets, 1980 Raiders, are the four sackless teams to win the Super Bowl,

The Colts were the Super Bowl opponent for sackless teams three times. The ’68 and ’70 Colts held their opponents (Jets and Cowboys) without a sack, and in another era, they held the Saints without a sack in the 2010 Super Bowl.

The 1997-98 Broncos won back-to-back Super Bowls without giving up a sack in each Super Bowl against the Falcons and the Packers

The Raiders are the only team to be shutout in sacks more than once. The 1980 Raiders held the Eagles to only 10 points in Super Bowl XV without registering a sack and won the game. The 2022 Raiders went sackless in a Super Bowl loss to the Buccaneers. That 1980 Raiders team averaged 3.4 sacks per game coming into the SB, the third highest on this list.

The 1974 Steelers and 1979 Rams (led by Jack Youngblood with 18 sacks) were also sack-heavy teams to go sackless in the Super Bowl.

GeneralMe21 t1_j8iwl7h wrote

The teams you face during the season vs the teams you face during the playoffs.

bigboidots t1_j8j1tbh wrote

Just a reminder the Steelers beat the Vikings without a sack.

JPAnalyst OP t1_j8j1xfv wrote

Yeah. I mention that in my write up below. Other nuggets in there as well.

bigboidots t1_j8j21wi wrote

I’m just a sad Vikings fan, don’t mind me. Happy cake day my g

JPAnalyst OP t1_j8j2csh wrote

Next years Super Bowl: Vikings - Bills, one of them will finally get their ring.

bigboidots t1_j8j7abk wrote

First ever cancellation of the Super Bowl, that way both teams can say they were ‘robbed’ of their Super Bowl forever

ohverygood t1_j8kx4gm wrote

I had a rough night and I hate the fuckin' Eagles, man!

iGothereLate78 t1_j8m6cew wrote

Ya the defensive line was almost nonexistent. Shame they always played so well until last week.

querry22 t1_j8jk0t5 wrote

Why is making a title correct such a common error on posts like this?

wnaj_ t1_j8iy7vk wrote

No fucking clue what any of this means

−3

querry22 t1_j8jk6mt wrote

The title is wrong and makes no sense. All it is a comparison of ave sacks per game vs in the Super Bowl having 0

−2