Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Evil-Abed1 t1_j8vkfd8 wrote

Damn. If FTX kept running like it was supposed too, democrats would’ve been swimming in it every election cycle.

Evil-Abed1 t1_j8vpmhl wrote

You believe the guy charges with fraud? Lol.

Come on man. If you paid any attention to this story you know he rarely tells the truth.

This guys mom cofounded a democrat super-PAC.

He was in a polycule.

If you think he gave $41M to republicans. You are high.

airduster_9000 t1_j8w7j03 wrote

>FTX

“I donated to both parties. I donated about the same amount to both parties,” Bankman-Fried told the crypto commentator and citizen journalist Tiffany Fong.

"All my Republican donations were dark,” he said, referring to political donations that are not publicly disclosed. “The reason was not for regulatory reasons, it’s because reporters freak the fuck out if you donate to Republicans. They’re all super liberal, and I didn’t want to have that fight.

Bankman-Fried’s undisclosed donations were made possible by the supreme court’s 2010 decision in the Citizens United case, which made it easier for donors to give large amounts of money anonymously and has led to more than $1bn being poured into federal elections since 2010."

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/nov/30/ftx-billionaire-sam-bankman-fried-dark-money-republicans

Evil-Abed1 t1_j8wq4nj wrote

Since you’re not adding anything now to the conversation. Ill repeat my reply to the last silly goose who said this.

Come on man. If you paid any attention to this story you know he rarely tells the truth.

He was in a polycule.

−2

BrandenburgForevor t1_j8wy8i7 wrote

You can't just listen to what a liar says, then beleive the opposite. That's makes absolutely no sense.

You just need to understand their motivations as to why they would (or wouldn't) lie

SBF has little reason to lie here and what he's saying makes perfect sense.

He just wanted his "business" to be legitimate in the eyes of the law and be regulated he wanted it to, and to achieve the most legitimacy he tried to buy out both parties. Makes perfect sense.

Blood_Seeker_00 t1_j8vsq0n wrote

How about instead of thinking blue=good red=bad release anyone that got money from this twat are playing for the same team and are against your interests...like fuck

CCSC96 t1_j8wmg50 wrote

He’s obviously not trustworthy but as a political fundraiser I’ll just say that

1. for donors like him it’s very normal to play both sides because you believe it will stop you from getting regulated

2. Republicans are always much more likely to funnel their money through IEs than to raise into disclosable accounts because their donors are less willing to be publicly associated, so this is how it would likely look mechanically if he was

3. It was widely believed in DC circles that he was playing both sides prior to him making this claim, Teddy Schleifer has covered this extensively if you want a source.

I’m ultimately not remotely worried about losing him as a donor. The most effective Dem groups all have limits and most of the IE groups are leaches trying to grift money of billionaires that don’t do anything but charge themselves consulting fees. Probably 5-10% of this was actually spent in a way that helped win elections.

Fluorescent_Tip t1_j8we1qe wrote

It seems easy to believe that he gave to both parties, absolutely, considering his primary concern was regulation. Doing it in secret is also on brand.

Wumple_doo t1_j8w1q6k wrote

It was also the shakiest excuse ever. Like of course that money he supposedly gave to republicans without any proof was a dark donation

−1

Blood_Seeker_00 t1_j8vkxye wrote

They'll find a new source for their money, its not like he was giving it out of the goodness of his heart, these groups/specific people had him paying them. Money will flow no matter who it is or how illegal the means, fuck politicians!

Evil-Abed1 t1_j8vlhz7 wrote

FTX made a substantial percentage of democrat donations received.

I think SBF was the #2 biggest donor for Dems.

They’ll still get money but not like that FTX money and not soon.

If FTX continued to grow as expected, they would’ve given Dems so much money.

−2

Blood_Seeker_00 t1_j8vn75y wrote

I dont think I disagree always odd when I get down votes for nothing but okay.

−4

Evil-Abed1 t1_j8vnmii wrote

I gave you an upvote.

I’m getting downvoted too. It’s weird, we’re talking about the data.

−2

Blood_Seeker_00 t1_j8vnzw4 wrote

Ooohh I see now its because we aren't screeching about the evil republics and how the dems are innocent to all of this, even funnier since I was non-biases but fuck its reddit where free speach dies and the far left are "moderates"

−8

MrMarklar t1_j8w3esn wrote

You get negative virtual points from anonymous people on a forum.

"Free speech dies"

Evil-Abed1 t1_j8vobnk wrote

Karma is back in the green now.

−2

Blood_Seeker_00 t1_j8vslns wrote

I'll just make a dick joke tomorrow normal people usually help out, plus who the hell cares about social credit score/Commy points.

−9

FiveFinger_Discount t1_j8xg72c wrote

Clearly you care very much about these commie points lol

Blood_Seeker_00 t1_j8xgj62 wrote

Obviously not I keep posting on political posts lol. Drain them all lol my point is they are meaningless. Also thanky for the spelling I'm an idiot

OfromOceans t1_j8wd3co wrote

He admitted to also privately giving the same amount to the republican party, the guy just understands outrage culture and appearances

Evil-Abed1 t1_j8wq682 wrote

He was in a polycule.

−3

OfromOceans t1_j8wrhev wrote

Yeah playing both sides of the government is a really bad idea /s

Evil-Abed1 t1_j8wrq0t wrote

Half?

Sure, he played both sides. The silly thing to believe is, he gave $40M to republicans.