Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BujuArena t1_j9626ue wrote

I don't know how to even approach consideration of this curiosity. It is intriguing in its layout, and yet indescribably baffling. Did the author intend any structure? Is there meaning in the clusters and islands? The work intrigues, but leaves the viewer hopelessly lost in the depths of its mystery.

I'm just enjoying commenting at this point. I am actually interested in the full essay that would enlighten us about exactly how this chart can be interpreted.

Edit: Also, I disagree with the insinuation that a viewer has any obligation to help with the presentation of the data. We have awarded feedback, and with that, you may make a choice: Will you try again and improve the work, portraying the glory of excitement that you've felt upon pondering the mystery you've sought to dispel? Or will you leave the viewership to ponder the mystery of the graphic they see before them, and the origin of the authorship which led to its creation? It is up to you, and you have no real obligation to choose the former option. The only difference you will see is in your Reddit point count, which you may or may not see as consequential, but which absolutely is inconsequential in the grand scheme of life.

yourmamaman OP t1_j9658wn wrote

To be honest, I had trouble visualizing this concept, hence the post. The idea was the take 3700 different recipes for pie, but understand how much variation there is in terms of their ingredients.

So the algorithm will cluster recipes that have very similar ingredients and give them one color, and place the cluster in such a manner that clusters with very different ingredients are far away from each other

Andie787 t1_j96u29u wrote

How does the colour work? What does it mean that there are so many blue clusters far apart from on another?

goodluckonyourexams t1_j971pj5 wrote

the colour means nothing, only the distance matters

and the distance is reduced in its dimensions