Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

FeistyThunderhorse t1_j9atde8 wrote

Weird to gray out chrome when it basically took IEs place

Metalytiq OP t1_j9au1sq wrote

Wanted to bring attention to IE/Edge. However, I can see how it can be odd to grey out Chrome.

Knuls2 t1_j9au36e wrote

I find it funny that Edge only beat IE in 2019

st4n13l t1_j9b7ois wrote

That's because the first iteration was shit. It wasn't rebuilt as Chromium based until 2018 so it definitely makes sense.

Techutante t1_j9h48fu wrote

That's probably when they started forcing usage too on all new windows installs. And even with that, 90% of the time edge is opened so you can download Chrome, Brave, or Firefox.

SheepGoesBaaaa t1_j9c0zpg wrote

I'm starting to find Edge far better than chrome and less resource heavy.

Buuuut, Chrome now has all my integrations with GDrive, Gmail, YouTube, and my Android phone. MS's suite is still a nightmare.

Gonhog t1_j9cpoyt wrote

That’s the real reason I think Chrome is still around. It’s too important in connecting everything I use all the time, edge just becomes another hoop to jump through

torchma t1_j9d9vpm wrote

People still use GDrive? I can rarely upload anything to it on any device. And when it does upload it's extremely slow.

jonnysteps t1_j9ax9k5 wrote

I wonder where Firefox fits on this graph

JolietJakeLebowski t1_j9axuh6 wrote

Here.

Market share has gone down, although number of users hasn't declined that much.

gonzo8927 t1_j9b2ap4 wrote

What are these "other" browsers that seem to have so much market share?

dread_deimos t1_j9b55xq wrote

A plethora of Chinese phone brand-specific and chromium-based (like Brave and Vivaldi), I'd assume.

lo_fi_ho t1_j9bnyee wrote

I will never forgive MSFT for murdering the greatest browser of all time, Netscape, and forcing people to use their own browser Internet Exploder. Die IE, die!

Garmgarmgarmgarm t1_j9cpot5 wrote

This graph is violence against Mozilla firefox

Rodlund t1_j9dfwg2 wrote

Working in IT (Medical Field), this has been horrible for us lately. So many states and web apps "only support IE" and are so archaic. We upgraded mostly everyone to Windows 11 already which causes so many headaches since IE isn't included.

DoeCommaJohn t1_j9dxjep wrote

At the company I'm working at, we have 112 apps that only work on IE. When MS announced it would discontinue IE, there was some panic and a bunch of people needed to start porting stuff over. But Edge has IE mode until 2030, so this is a 2029 problem now.

wolfeye111 t1_j9cl3eg wrote

I like edge. Just for a bit of diversity since I use chrome at work and for school. A "different" place where I can relax

DoeCommaJohn t1_j9dxccp wrote

I'm the opposite. My work uses Edge, so I use Chrome for personal stuff. It's surprising how much different the two can feel if I just use them in different settings.

fred_lincoln t1_j9d2wc1 wrote

As a web dev back in the day when we had to employ a ton of hacks to work with IE, especially 6 and 7, this data truly is beautiful!

Mental_Lyptus t1_j9dglx9 wrote

You didn't think the release of Firefox was significant enough for it's own line? I think that's a very strange choice, the impact was huge

Metalytiq OP t1_j9aqqni wrote

Data Source: StatCounter

Tool: Tableau

Internet Explorer was released on August 16, 1995. After nearly three decades of being the default web browser for Microsoft's Windows operating system, Internet Explorer was finally retired on February 14, 2023. The end of Internet Explorer was not unexpected, as Microsoft had been phasing it out in favor of their newer browser, Microsoft Edge, for several years. The decision to retire Internet Explorer was made in part due to its outdated technology and lack of support for modern web standards. Additionally, since the launch of Google Chrome in 2008, Internet Explorer’s popularity steadily declined. As of last week, Microsoft no longer provides technical support, security updates, or bug fixes for Internet Explorer on any devices. Microsoft Edge has pushed out an update to permanently disable Internet Explorer 11.

Microsoft has high hopes for Edge to compete with Google Chrome and other browsers, especially after their recent investment in the OpenAI chatbot, ChatGPT.

Darkassassin07 t1_j9at927 wrote

>As of last week, Microsoft no longer provides technical support, security updates, or bug fixes for Internet Explorer on any devices. Microsoft Edge has pushed out an update to permanently disable Internet Explorer 11.

Honestly, I though they'd done this like 2 years ago.

Either way, I won't use Edge or IE, so it's a mute point.

-domi- t1_j9b0w69 wrote

We used to say that Microsoft will come to regret the bad will turning their browser into a fucking hellhole, and i think it's safe to say they have. I reckon they've spent more on Edge and corrective actions than they made by trying to turn ie into their bullshit corporate walled garden.

Now comes Google's reckoning. I hope they're happy with how much money they made during their time in the sun, because once they're dethroned, they're not coming back for decades, if ever.

st4n13l t1_j9b7yix wrote

Edge is a great browser and Chrome isn't going away anytime soon

-domi- t1_j9b892o wrote

It's a great browser almost nobody uses on purpose, and while Chrome isn't going anywhere, Google's fall from grace is impending. Hope they enjoyed their decades in the sun.

Dipsi1010 t1_j9bbt30 wrote

Why do you think Google Will fall?

-domi- t1_j9fmxvy wrote

Cause they lost almost all their goodwill. People are looking for a viable alternative. The moment one presents, their search domination is going bye bye.

joelluber t1_j9ctsbt wrote

>almost nobody uses on purpose

That's a big assertion.

-domi- t1_j9cv9ap wrote

Quick google reports (well) under 6% of users use Edge, which is absolutely laughable for what's the default browser on more than 50% of users' OSs.

Good =/= popular, and bad =/= unpopular. Edge is good despite being utterly unpopular. And i think it's unpopular because M$ made short-term decisions with ie which burned their image. That's the point of my original comment. It's now taken them Billions to get Edge to this point, and this point is still laughably bad. Look forward to the exact same thing happening with Google the moment a viable alternative surfaces.

To reiterate - i hope they all enjoyed their respective moments in the sun, because they traded away decades of unpopularity for them.

joelluber t1_j9cvjoi wrote

I thought you meant chrome

-domi- t1_j9czm0r wrote

Oof, my bad. Yeah, i didn't realize it came across that way. I meant that i recognize that Edge is a great browser, as you say, but that hasn't translated into popularity, due to what i think is the bad aftertaste from ie.

doctorboredom t1_j9cyzku wrote

Is this based on how many computers has IE installed, or is it based on how much internet data was actually served to IE vs other browsers?

When I made websites in the early 00s I remember very few users actually using IE even though most people had IE installed on their computers. My websites were pretty low traffic non-profit sites. Maybe traffic was different on major sites like Amazon?

DoeCommaJohn t1_j9dxl2e wrote

Market share, so presumably profits rather than users

sinisterdesign t1_j9d95g6 wrote

Check that meteoric rise of Edge. ZOOOOOOM