Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DanoPinyon t1_jb2x9lm wrote

Why all the red in flyover country?

indyK1ng t1_jb30fwl wrote

There's a few guesses I would make:

• Remote work migration still in progress
  • A knock-on effect from the migratory wave caused by remote work - people getting priced out of areas moving to even cheaper areas, driving the price up in those areas
  • Investment firms buying up whatever cheap properties they can to use for investment

LoveArguingPolitics t1_jb3czjv wrote

It's more expensive to build in general and new construction is getting ridiculously big and packed with amenities driving the price up.

That would be my guess, less organic and more like a bunch of expensive ass monsters are getting built and dropped on the market

−1

Dwarfdeaths t1_jb3tum6 wrote

It's an increase in productivity of otherwise unproductive locations due to remote work. Rent is set based on the difference between productivity of a location and productivity of the available free alternative (e.g. wilderness). Since home prices necessarily include land speculation, i.e. the rent that could be collected by owning the property, home prices rise too.

LoveArguingPolitics t1_jb4tuyg wrote

This has nothing to do with rent she what you said didn't even exclude what i said... It's a lot less nuanced...

Rich guy moves to country builds big house

Music_City_Madman t1_jb3qve8 wrote

Californians and landleeches. Sometimes both, the dreaded Californian landleech.

−7

Robo_Ross t1_jb6utyb wrote

As a native Californian, can we stop calling these folks Californian? Most of them come to the bay area or LA for a decade, participate in insane NIMBYism while they live here, and fuck off to whatever part of the country they came from once they fill their loot bags. They fuck up our communities by turning them into commodities which price out locals who would like to stay and then go and do the same thing when they return home. Rinse and repeat.