Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_jb3ilje wrote

Nice!
I used to be a county appraiser in one of those red counties. Glad I dodged that bullet.

schackel t1_jb3ua4u wrote

Why would that be bad out of curiosity?

[deleted] t1_jb5fo7b wrote

It would be bad because the housing list prices in the red colored counties have increased 50% or more, and plenty of people (property owners) assume, incorrectly, that county-wide/taxing-district-wide increases in property value increase property tax collected. More people than should also assume that county appraisers are somehow monetarily rewarded for increases in value. They get very argumentative and angry about it while not understanding the system at all.

It means extra work explaining and defending valuations, while still accomplishing your main tasks of inspecting properties, running sales analysis, and adjusting values, etc.

And, bonus! That extra work? Mostly involves interacting with really angry people who sometimes, though it's a technically a felony, suggest things like: "I got a .45, a shovel, and 40 acres. . ."

I should say that technically list prices don't mean anything to county appraisers, it's the actual sales prices that do. But as a county appraiser, I would have certainly been clenching my butt cheeks in anticipation of what was to come.

edits: Grammar, precision, and decorum.

Ggoodd69 t1_jb6byqp wrote

They’re just doing their jobs appraisers I’ve seen we’re quite nice and one even contacted my dad who is a beekeeper about tax breaks or reductions for being a beekeeper because of the benefit of bees

Ggoodd69 t1_jb6bzfa wrote

They’re just doing their jobs appraisers I’ve seen we’re quite nice and one even contacted my dad who is a beekeeper about tax breaks or reductions for being a beekeeper because of the benefit of bees

schackel t1_jb773i7 wrote

Appreciate the reply - makes sense for sure

anonkitty2 t1_jb4z26j wrote

Red counties are where the average price of residential real estate has gone up more than 50%. This means property tax will go up. This can be a problem for residents in the residential property...